23: Milk Pudding

Aside from the few people idling around and chatting, the field around me was empty. Cherry blossom petals from the blooming trees glided through the soft wind, littering the grass with their pretty colours. Chiaki was seated on the bench next to me, glistening on this March afternoon as he slipped out a pudding cup from the convenience store bag he'd brought along before joining me here five minutes ago.

"'Milk pudding,'" I read aloud. "Is it any good?"

He glanced my way. Considering it was spring vacation and the weather had warmed quite a bit, he'd tied his hair back into a small ponytail. He was even dressed in a Mortal Mania t-shirt as well as a pair of dark shorts. However, his grogginess was imminent as he extended the little cup in his hand.

"Here."

The gesture startled me. I furiously waved. "I can't. It's yours."

"It's fine. I bought a lot."

He beckoned it again and reluctantly, I caved. Picking up the small spoon that accompanied it, I slipped it out of its wrapper. Despite Chiaki's trained stare, I shovelled a spoonful of the still chilled treat into my mouth.

My tongue instantly exploded with flavour.

"Delicious, right?"

"Super delicious!" I declared, taking another bite whilst beaming. "Ah, I'm in love."

His bright green eyes softened as I continued to delightfully eat, lips upturning into a ghost of a smile. "I... really do love your smiles, Teru. They're so pretty."

Feeling my cheeks warm, I sheepishly laughed. "I love your smiles too, Chiaki. Since you rarely show them they mean a lot."

"I've never seen Aki share his pudding...T-Teruhashi is amazing."

I whipped my head in the opposite end of the bench where my other underclassman was. He cowered from behind the railings, his long white hair and red-rimmed glasses poking through.

"Hayate," I immediately called. "You need to try some too! Chiaki brought lots!"

I twisted my body toward the bag only to find Chiaki had scooped it into his arms, protectively pouting. "Do I have to give Haya?"

"Of course," I returned. "I know you love your cold desserts but you can't pick favourites."

His pout grew, as if not fond of the idea. Which puzzled me considering he'd given me one rather easily, and with a smile, no less. After sparing Hayate a quick peek, he returned his attention to me. Dejectedly, he reached inside and slipped another one out.

"If Teru says so..."

Even after I set it right at the edge of the bench, where Hayate was currently crouched beside, that still didn't rid his awed gawking.

"Aki loves his pudding so much. He's usually so stingy..."

Was that true? He'd always been so considerate to me whenever cold desserts were an issue. Granted, he'd never actually bought and shared one with me as of late (it was typically the other way around). But considering this was coming from Hayate—the one who was with him on a daily basis—his words probably held some truth.

"So, when is that event starting, Teru?" Chiaki mumbled, snapping me from my thoughts.

Brightening, I cast my pudding aside and slipped out the colourful flier from the small bag I brought with me. It was the reason behind why I'd called them out here.

A baking competition.

Though that in itself was appealing—especially considering it was open to all citizens who wanted to watch it unfold—what had really caught my interests was the words written at the very bottom of the page.