52: Sponge Cake

~Months later~

"Okito, wake up!"

"Stop yanking my blanket. Five more minutes."

He cocooned himself deeper inside his covers. Sighing, I flopped onto my knees and tugged them off. The instant his face was back out in the open, I leaned toward it.

"If we wait five more minutes, we'll be late for the graduation ceremony!"

His arm snaked around my nape. He dragged me onto his pillow, specifically underneath his chin.

"Stop yelling," he mumbled into my hair.

Muscles tense, I ignored my flaming complexion to the best of my ability. "Don't go back to sleep," I pleaded.

His shoulders rose and fell at steady intervals, countenance softened in peaceful mock-slumber.

He'd never been an early riser. Unless I personally visited to drag him out of his house, he frantically raced to get to school in time. In my absence for over a year, who woke him up in my stead? It was difficult to believe it was a result of his own efforts. Surely, it was his parents or younger siblings.

Well, I could sit here admiring his sleeping countenance all I wanted, but today was the one day we couldn't risk dawdling.

"Okito." I prodded his cheek. "Wake up."

"Two more minutes..."

I pursed my mouth. "Today's the day we're officially saying goodbye to the school, you know. You can sleep all you want after the ceremony."

By will of the gods alone, Okito released me. He dragged himself upright, exposing his bare chest—he consistently slept without a t-shirt—then rubbed his eyelid with the knuckle of his hand. As he suppressed a yawn, he drowsily addressed me.

"You have your hair down."

Maybe I should be grateful he noticed it at all. "Aren't you going to drown me in compliments?" I baited. "Oh, Kotori, I do not deserve to hail your beauty so early in the morning. I'll melt."

"You expect me to say something so cheesy?"

"It wouldn't hurt to flatter me every so often."

He hoisted himself up and onto the floor. "Wait for me downstairs."

Cheapskate...

"By the way..."

"Hmm?"

Halting by the entrance of his bedroom, the edges of his lips upturned briefly. "You're beautiful regardless of what hairstyle you wear."

Tingles exploded at the pit of my stomach.

"What're you getting all red for? You requested a compliment, didn't you?"

"I-I'm leaving without you!"

"Kotori?!"