26: Chestnut Trifle

"Miko! I'm such an idiot!"

I tackled my best friend into a hug the moment I saw her trotting towards the school gates. Miko stumbled for a moment, lips twisting wryly as she came to a halt.

"And?" she said.

Tears stung the corners of my eyes. "At least deny it."

With a sigh, she brushed my arms off her, readjusting her bag strap on her shoulder. "You're the one who tackled me first thing of a new school year to say something like that. I think my answer was nice enough as is."

I made a face. Her amusement didn't falter in the slightest.

"It's not the end of the world. You still have a month."

"I know, but..."

"The Baking Society is way better than the Cooking Club. You'll upstage them; make them regret looking down on you. Wasn't that your goal from the beginning?"

Miko plastered on her typical smile. It was so blinding and sweet that it melted my heart into a puddle. My lower lip quivering, I jumped her into another embrace.

"Miko," I cried, squeezing her tight. "Thank you for always believing in me."

She tittered, rubbing circles into my back to calm me down. "What kind of friend would I be if I didn't?"

"I know. I love you so much. Please take me as your wife."

Even without seeing her face, I knew she'd lost all emotions.

"Kotori, don't joke about that. People are staring."

"Are they like that?"

"They're so bold."

I reeled away, batting my eyelashes. My dramatic wails had ceased but the looks and whispers from onlookers continued to eat at me. Meeting her warm brown eyes, I took her hand in mine. "Let them stare. We're not hiding anything."

Her eyebrow twitched. I was smacked at the top of my head without hesitation.

"Ouch!" I cried.

I lurched back in a heartbeat, clenching the spot. Regardless, Miko's taped her mouth upwards. This time, her grin was anything but kind. It was forged, and seeped unbelievable malice.

"Now that you're properly awake, could I ask you to repeat what you said? I couldn't really hear you."

A bead of sweat trickled down my temple.

I'd gotten her angry.

"J-just that I can't go feeling blue when I'm the one who made things come to this. We'll turn my words into a reality no matter what."

Miko's hostility lessened. "That's the spirit."

I returned a sincere grin. "But before I accomplish that, first things first. I've gotta—"

"—find a fifth member, right?"

I shook my head. "Tell the others."

"You didn't—"

"I know." Scratching the back of my head, I sheepishly laughed. "I managed to keep it a secret from Chiaki and Hayate that day, but... Koyuki's so going to kill me."

"Kotori..." Hand to her hip, Miko's lips wilted in disappointment. "You worry me way too much."

"I'm well aware, bestie."

Arms crossed behind my back, I emitted another airy chuckle before scanning the perimeter. It was across the street, passing through the front gates, that I saw him. Brightening like a light, I gasped.