two - business meetings

Yajel

"King I'm heading to school", I yell.

King comes from his room and yanks me into a large hug. He squeezed me tight until I started to gasp for air.

"Oh you're so dramatic, I just wanted to show my little sis some love", he says, giving me a look. It's the look of "you did something wrong" and I sigh.

"What did I do now?", I ask.

"My friend Spooky says you elbowed him in the nose and punched him in the groin", he says.

"He came up to me wrong, I thought I was going to get attacked", I fake a frown.

"Look he's one of us, and you can't go around punching the dude in charge of Freeridge Santos", he scolds.

"Ew, everything here is so backwards. They are all about peace and kindness here, like what the fuck is that?", I whine and grab my book bag.

"Just play nice, this is isn't home, not everyone is out to get you", King puts his hands on my shoulder assuredly.

"Whatever, I gotta roll", I head out the front door, Ruby paces left to right in my front yard.

"Where were you? It's 9:12", he says when he's noticed me.

"Chill out hombrecito I had matters to attend to", I grab the back of his neck, "so what is this scary job we have to do?"

I pull out my two switch blades and he gawks before trying to force my hands back into my pockets.

"No, it's nothing like that I just have to have a man to man with Spooky that's all", he admits.

"Who the hell is this Spooky vato (dude)? King just said his name too", I ask.

"That guy you socked in the nose yesterday. Hopefully he is scared of you or at least will see you and not try to murder me", Ruby and I cross the street and tip toe into the back yard.

"You know Spooky is a stupid name", I say stuffing my hand in my jean pocket.

"I don't think I asked hyna", a deep voice says coming around the corner in front of us.

Ruby seems to be having a heart attack and I laugh as he stutters out his words.

"He with you", Spooky asks as Ruby blabbers.

"Only in the most literal sense", I say and knock Ruby in the back of the head.

"Spooky I would like to speak with you about Cesar", he blurts.

"And you?", he says not taking his eyes off of mine.

"Here as backup", I shrug.

He grunts in approval and the sound is rather attractive. He continues to talk with Ruby and I can't help but glance at the Hispanic man during their conversation.

Damn, he's fine. I don't like cigarettes but boy he makes me want to take a puff of the cancer stick myself.

"You're opening my eyes homes", Spooky says sarcastically, poor Ruby just nods and tries to inhale the cigarette Spooky gave him.

"Thank you for hearing me out", Ruby says much more confident. He gets up from the buckets and strolls off.

"I'll catch up with you in a second hombrecito", I yell out to Ruby. With a deep breathe I turn back to Spooky, he raises his left eyebrow and I feel my stomach flip.

"I came to apologize for beating the shit out of you the other day. I realize it was wrong of me and I hope we can move along and be..you know", I say. I'm not sure why I am so shy, I've killed men scarier than him. What is going on Yajel?

"Friends the word you looking for?", I nod and he laughs. It's the most beautiful sound I've ever heard, "It's cool, small girls are always feisty", he says and walks away.

"This small girl could carve your tattoos out of your skin, never forget", I turn on my heels and head for the high school.

"I like 'em feisty", he yells and I roll my eyes continuing on. If I keep on my same pace I can make it to school on time, maybe even find myself a locker.