three - what to wear

Yajel

"High school dances are the worst", Monse buffs behind me in the lunch line.

"Really? Dances in Houston are the best, and a great opp to meet dudes", another girls nasally voice responds. I tune out the two girls and thank the cafeteria lady for my extra slice of pizza.

"Hey how did you get that?", Monse asks tapping my arm.

I turn around slowly and looked at her hand that she removes from my shoulder. Relaxing a little I breathe deeply before answering.

"I helped her son with his math homework", I lied. I just spared her sons life a few hours ago when he tried to rough me up in the hallway.

"I love your outfit", the nasal sounding girl looked at my powder blue T-shirt, bland shorts, and chucks.

"Thanks chica", she's pretty and seems much cooler than the Monse chick.

"My name is Olivia, I'm new here too", she smiles.

"Nice to meet you, you guys want to eat together?", I ask.

"Yea girl, we have to talk about what to do about this horrible dance tonight. It's just an excuse for boys to grind on us and try to get us pregnant. It's crazy how we can't enjoy the tiniest things because we get sexualized so much we are expected to just throw ourselves at them", Monse preaches as we walk.

"Honestly we are either just a pair of boobs or ass to men and it's sickening. I can't even walk by Cesar's house without getting objectified", Olivia says.

"Down with the men", I yell out when we get to the table leaving the boys of the group quite confused.

"What makes you say that?", Cesar asks.

"Why can't she say that? She's a woman of her own decisions", Monse rolls her eyes.

"And we aren't just objects for you to ogle at or use as humping posts whenever you're ready", Olivia says.

The two of them are clearly very frustrated eating their food and evil-eyeing the guys. I remember being a young "feminist" in ninth grade, I could've swore I was going to make change.

"So let's talk about the dance tonight", Cesar says wiggling his eyebrows at Monse suggestively. Wrong move little dude.

"See, this is exactly the type of behavior we are upset about, and we have decided we are no longer going to the dance", Monse storms away from the table with her tray.

"Men", Olivia gets up and follows.

I continue to eat my food until I look up and all eyes are on me. With a sigh I follow the two girls stuffing my face with ranch covered pizza.

Olivia and Monse have found a new table over by the stairs and are scolding the world in silence.

"You know, the world is a cruel place and some men really don't have your best interests at heart but those three tontos (goofballs) are not them. Trust me it's not hurting your femininity at all to go to the dance, look sexy, and do a little bump and grind", I shake my shoulders earning a smile from them both.

"You're right maybe we should apologize", Monse suggests.

"Woah, I said go to the dance, never apologize. Because we are women, we are always right", I say finishing the crust of my pizza.

——

"I look dumb", Monse says angrily sliding over the mirror door to her closet.

"It's not a very flattering dress, no", I say honestly and Ruby and Olivia stared at me like I hit her with a gun.

"What? I thought we wanted honest criticism", I shrug my shoulders and finish devouring a large bag of chips.

"I need a new outfit", Monse walks away to change again and I crunch up my bag of chips.

"You know what would go great with a dress", Olivia goes for a shoe box at the top of Monse's closet, "heels."

"No dont", Ruby says stopping Olivia and looking to see if Monse is coming, "that box if full of her mom's stuff from before she left. Very personal can't get into detail."

"Mamás están sobrevaloradas (moms are overrated)", I chime in getting up from the bed and they look at me again as if I said something wrong.

"Well 'jel not everyone thinks so", Ruby says through gritted teeth.

"So opinions?", Monse comes in and the three of us stand in front of her.

"I like the red one."

"I think the yellow one looked best", Olivia chimes.

Ruby pauses for a moment unsure what to say.

"Come on hombrecito you can't leave her hanging", I say hitting his arm.

"Ow...I think the one you had on before really accentuates your figure", Ruby says. Now me and Olivia scold him.

"So you mean her boobs? Classy", Olivia says while I pinch the bridge of my nose.