thirteen - late

Yajel

"I don't know I've just been really happy lately", I added some inflection in my voice hoping he got the hint. I even twirled around swinging my purse in my right hand. My hair was straight today and it gracefully flew around my shoulders.

"You don't think that outfit is too revealing for school?", King asked and I stared down at my strapless corset top, black flare jeans and white cortezes.

"No", I grab my binder and walk to the kitchen sticking a cupcake pop tart into the toaster.

"There is something I need to speak with you about so after school come straight home. It's about time we had a family meeting kiddo", King pats my head and I stare at home warily. We've never had a family meeting before and anytime we try to have a heart to heart we usually end up screaming.

"Um everything okay back home? Anything I should worry about?", I arch an eyebrow quickly transferring my breakfast bar into a napkin.

"Nothing to worry about but I just want to talk to you", he smiles and kisses my forehead.

"I guess that's okay", I grab a juice from the fridge. Maybe he has something special planned for later tonight, "I love you!", I say, my mouth is full as I'm heading for the door.

Outside Ruby and Jamal look at me worried and surprised. However across the street whistles and howls reigned down about my outfit. Any other day I would flip them off but I'm in such a good mood I give them an exaggerated spin. Showcasing my look.

"Come on guys we have to get to school", I skip along and only stop when the boys behind me aren't following.

"You must not have heard, Cesar got pulled up on last night. He has a green light on him", Jamal says. His voice sounds strained and panicked, as per usual.

"Well shit, is he hiding out?", I ask.

"Yea Spooky and the guys have him on lock down in the house", Ruby answers.

"Well there goes my idea", I mumble, this must be what King wanted to tell me. That means no dinner, nothing special, nothing planned. Just some lame talk, suddenly I'm not in the mood for school.

"Hey you okay?", Ruby asks.

"She's distraught, this violence in our town is troubling, I'm sure she is devastated", Jamals dramatic rants goes on and on.

"Boy I- y'all head to school I'll meet you at lunch", I usher them toward the school and cross the street into Spooky's yard.

"Aye the big man don't wanna be bothered right now", someone steps in front of me.

"You want your nuts to be bothered with my knee?", I ask and he doesn't flinch.

"Seriously Yajel he's in a mood", someone else says standing up beside him.

I roll my eyes and put the last of my pop tart in my mouth. Holding my orange juice bottle in my left hand with my keys I send a punch into his nose.

"Fuck!", he yells tumbling back as blood spills from his face. The other guy catches  him as I swallow my food and walk straight into the house.

Cesar is sitting at the table, headphones in, with what seems like homework. Quietly I plop down beside him, outside I can hear the man yelling and threatening my life. I ignore him and tap Cesar's shoulder.

"So I heard you got a green light?", I ask.

"Yea a guy name Latrelle pulled up on me and Monse last night. We weren't even instigating anything, he just wanted problems", he says, "it's crazy because we all went to middle school together, well the sixth grade."

"And so to relieve the stress you're doing....math homework?", I look at him scribble the answer to another problem.

"I have a math test today so I need to finish this homework and some how get to school", he sighs.

"You finish up your homework and I'll distract Spooky", I stand from the table throwing a piece of gum in my mouth.

"He's the third door on the right", Cesar points.

I head to the respective door and knock quietly. After five minutes the door creeks open and I step inside, Spooky has his back turned facing me. In his hand he holds his phone while he has a hushed conversation. Reminds me of the way King talks on the phone.

I walk around the room and look at the pictures in the frames. Him and his brother as little carefree kids. A picture of all the Santos and a picture of Cesar and Spooky when he was in jail.

"I thought you were Cesar", he says seriously.

"Right, what are you going to do about that issue?", I ask.

In New York I never had someone pull up, and if they were dumb enough I handled it that very second. People in Cali seem to flash their stuff around willy nilly.

"He has to take care of it, it's not how I wanted his first time to go, not this soon either, but shits gotta happen", he sits on a small computer chair and runs over his face in stress.

"Well", I kick off my shoes and sit on the edge of his bed, "if it helps I'll tag along, I remember what it was like to do these things at his age."

"Princess I couldn't ask you to do that, this is Cesar's battle and he needs to fight it", he turns to me and for the first time in a long time I blush. Hearing him call me that struck a different chord. 

"I- I just w-want to help him out. Trust me it's no burden", I frown at my stutter. What is wrong with me?

"You sure?", he stands straight in front me looking down with a serious face, "cause I don't want you in trouble Yajel."

"I can handle myself Oscar", his shoulders tense and he closes his eyes for a moment.

"Come here", he grabs my chin lightly and I meet his stance, our lips colliding cautiously. As the kiss heats up his hand falls to base of my throat adding just enough pressure to evoke a moan from me.