Chapter 14

When mom, Xander, and I walk into the place we are having brunch, Uncle Frank is nowhere to be seen. We request a table for four and are sat at a booth. Xander slides in next to me and my mom sits across from us. I can't help but feel nervous because the guy, who I'm supposed to be building a deck for and is supposed to be my client, is now sitting next to me, holding my hand. I wonder what Frank is going to say about this. I hope I don't get fired from my first solo job. Although, with how this has gone, I wouldn't blame him if he had me working on roofs under the supervision of Rob for the rest of my career with him.

Xander and my mom are chuckling away at something Xander had said when Frank walks in and looks directly at us. He squints his eyes disapprovingly when he sees Xander beside me and raises an eyebrow in question. I look away and down at my lap, taking my hand from Xander's warm big one. I play with the hem of my shirt and I hear Frank welcome my mom.

"Mr. Greg, what a surprise to see you here." Frank says and I watch as they shake each other's hand.

"Yes, since Leo's apartment is not fit for guests I insisted upon both of them staying with me. It was lovely of Ms. Anderson to invite me out this morning." Xander responds and Frank sits down beside my mom.

"Xander, I told you, you can call me Penny." My mom pipes in. She turns to Frank just after saying that and they begin to catch up with each other's lives. My mother telling him a bit to much about menopause and me silently gagging in the background. I can see Frank's discomfort as he looks over to Xander and I out of the corner of his eye. I chuckle a bit but that stops when I feel Xander's hand on my thigh, rubbing up and down teasingly.

The waitress comes to the table and saves Frank from any more excruciating details about my mother's menopause and me from pulling Xander down to make out with me in front of my mom, Uncle Frank, and everyone else in the restaurant.

"Hi I am Lucy and I will be your server. What can I get for everyone today?" She asks and Xander picks up his menu to double check his order. I realize I haven't looked at the menu and quickly open it to find at least one entree I would like.

"I am going to get the Eggs Benedict!" My mother answers as everyone else was checking the menu.

"How would you like your eggs cooked?" Lucy asks writing down the order on her notepad.

"Easy." My mom responds.

"Fruit or home fries?" Lucy asks.

"Fruit please." My mom says.

"Fruit." Lucy says under her breath. "Okay! And for you sir?"

"Regular breakfast, bacon, eggs scrambled, toast white." Frank says already answering all of Lucy's questions.

"And for you?" She asks Xander giving him a small smile as he looks up at her. Is she flirting with my man?

I reach for Xander under the table and he puts his hand on top of mine as he orders the regular breakfast with bacon, medium poached eggs, and brown toast. He looks back at me once he's done ordering and I am entranced by his green eyes. He starts smiling his award winning smile at me and then winks at me.

"Sir?" The waitress says awkwardly and that's when I realize I have to give my order.

"O-o-oh." I stutter, embarrassed that I was caught red handed staring at Xander. "I-I would like w-waffles with strawberries and Nutella."

Xander gives me a disapproving look and I shrug shyly. I know Daddy, too much sugar for breakfast.

Xander looks back at the waitress and says, "He will also get 2 eggs."