✽ 𝐫𝐚𝐜𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐩𝐮𝐥𝐬𝐞

◦ ◦ ⊙ ◦ ◦

◦ ◦ ⊙ ◦ ◦

"I suck..."

Behind the counter, Jieun looked up at Daeun's frowning face. The four eyes girl spun the chalkboard sign around for her to see, and she instantly had to purse her lips from laughing. It was clear that her friend had been trying to draw a muffin and a steaming cup of coffee, but the entire thing looked like a deflating balloon.

"No, it's not that bad," she titled her head, examining it.

Daeun gave her a deadpan stare before swiping a towel over the drawing. With a sigh, she handed her over the stick of chalk. "Try it. I know your handwriting is much prettier than mine."

Jieun pinched her lip between her teeth, turning the board over. "I can't see why is so important to you to make it pretty." She ignored the annoyed cluck of the girl's tongue as she drew another better 'mug'. "The important thing is for customers to understand what's on them."

"Have you never been to a coffeehouse? Their menus are flawless..." Daeun took the board back and smiled, pleased with the result. "Yes! I love you!"

Chuckling, Jieun shook her head. She drew in a deep breath, taking in the aroma of fresh-baked muffins and mocha chocolate around as she stretched back on the stool.

The coffeehouse had only three customers in it today; a weary-looking old man and a couple in the fair end. She wasn't sure if anyone truly loved their jobs, but she did for the most part. The calmness gave her time to study and do her homework in between else. 

Time passed pretty smoothly over these night shifts, and with a free coffee on tap, Jieun was able to knock out a lot of school work on her laptop.

That was until they showed up.

Jieun's fingers froze over the keyboard as a strange chill rolled over her arms. She didn't think twice about ducking herself before the group of people could take a glimpse of her.

Jaehyun, along with two of his annoying buddies, had walked in. If it wasn't enough of a reason to ruin her day, Jungkook and Yeri were also among them.

"Daeun!" she hissed. "Daeun, come here!"

The girl who had been fixing the chalkboard on the wall stopped, searching for her for a moment, then found her crouched behind the counter. "W—"

Jieun gestured with her thumb to the entrance, and her friend looked up, immediately understanding what the problem was. She stepped down the small latter, rushing to the back counter to receive them instead.