Chapter 5: Keeper of the Keys

Not having been remotely prepared for it this time any more than the first, the eight of them collapsed to the ground in such a miserable place, for a moment the Marauders were convinced they'd been put inside the Shrieking Shack.

This place was somehow even more inhospitable. There was a storm outside, raging nearly right through the thin walls, and all of them collectively shivered and took a step closer to the center of the room. Lily took her wits about her first and jabbed her wand to the fireplace, the warmth spreading around giving them the ability to detail the rest of the area, though none of them enjoyed the view.

There was only one bedroom off to the side, a lumpy looking mattress and bedding that rather should have been burned from all the stains they could see on it. Truly those Dursleys must have been desperate to sleep on such a thing instead of their normal king sized bed with silk sheets and all their other extravagances.

The flooring had so many catches on it, uneven extremly from so many years of bad weather and ill care, it would be a miracle not to break your neck merely walking across the room, and a couch that was sagging to the ground so much they were sure Dudley had just placed his immense weight on it and cracked it in half.

"I had absolutely no desire to see the actual spot Harry laid himself on," James said in disgust, his eyes on one particular bit of corner not far from the fireplace, as if the boys instincts had still been trying to seek out warmth where none was. The thin bit of material fluttering in the breeze in the spot couldn't even be called a blanket, the patch of floor only softer than the rest because it was slightly damp from a leaky roof. It wasn't a fit place for an animal, let alone a scared little boy.

"I-" Sirius tried to say to him, going to him and wanting to put his arm around his best friend in some kind of solidarity, but James shrugged him off and stormed over to sit on the same spot, glaring around at nothing as if daring someone to stop him. He couldn't explain it to anyone, it felt stupid to even realize why he wanted this, but he wanted just some small part of himself to know what his son went through, even sitting in the same spot as he once had...or would. Whichever. The cupboard had been a punishment, this was an actual place he'd tried seeking out, and James was determined to understand why.

Sirius just watched him for a moment before reaching out and snatching the book away before Remus could protest. He wanted out of this miserable place as soon as possible, and if he was understanding this right, the pattern would continue they'd leave here as soon as the next part was over.

"Does anyone ever actually call Hagrid by his job title?" Frank asked without much interest when the chapter title was told.

"Not that I've heard," Alice agreed, keeping closer to her boyfriend than the fire for warmth in this place. "I'm just glad it was him, poor kid's had enough trouble in his life, at least Hagrid will finally help Harry to understand all this."

"I wonder why him though?" Lily said with high curiosity. "A ministry representative came and explained to my parents when I first got my letter, and after all these years, the blokes hardly memorable. He even managed to dress like one, an honest accomplishment," she finished with a small snort, remembering the few times she'd seen others try. "Hagrid on the other hand will likely leave an impression, probably not one most Muggles would forget. I imagine anyone as well as these Dursley's would be frightened by him."

"It was likely Dumbledore's decision, and he couldn't have picked anyone better," Remus said with a faint smile, looking forward to Hagrid doing more to scare the piss out of these people.

They all rather enjoyed the back and forth favoring Hagrid as he got through the Dursleys to explain to Harry what was going on, and everyone but Lily listened with interest to hear what it must be like for someone to hear for the first time something they'd known all their life.