Chapter IV - wife by law

Y/n's POV

The morning after I attended the most amazing party with Jack, I was having breakfast with Will. It was extremely awkward, and for the most of it we just awkwardly sipped our tea, when he finally spoke.

'I  had hoped you would come to me last night.' He glanced at me as he placed down his tea.

'I was tired,' I gulped. I didn't want to look at him in the eyes, because usually he could see right through my lies.

'Yes, Your exertions below decks were no doubt exhausting.' He stared right into to me.

How did he find out?  Then I remembered seeing a glimpse of a man, who looked like Lovejoy standing on the stairwell at the party.

I placed my teacup on the table, placing my hands on my lap in a lady-like way. 'I see you had that undertaker of a manservant follow me.'

William stood up swiftly leaning over the table, as he raised his voice. 'You will never behave like that again! Do you understand?'

'I'm not some foreman in your mills than you can command! I am your fiancee!'I raised my voice just a bit, aswell.

Will exploded, sweeping the expensive china off of the table, and made his way over to me in a shocking moment. He grabbed the sides of my chair, so that I was trapped. 'Yes you are! And my wife in practice, if not yet by law. So you will honour me, as a wife is required to honour her husband! I will not be made out a fool! Is this in any way unclear?'

I sunk in my chair, gulping. I noticed Trudy half-frozen in the doorway. Will followed my glance at her, and stood up straightening out his suit then walking out the door, as if nothing happened.

Trudy ran over to me, picking up the glass shards. I quickly knelt down next to her, helping.

'We h-had an accident! I'm s-so sorry Trudy!'

'I-it's okay!' She said in a comforting tone.

I fell back and started to cry.

'I'm sorry,' I said as tears streamed down my face.

Trudy patted my back.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was nearly dressed for the day, and Trudy was tightening my corset.

'Trudy, prepare some tea.' I heard my mother say.

'Yes, ma'am.'

I turned around and saw Trudy hurrying out of my room, and my mother walking towards me. She began to help tighten my corset.

'You are not to see that boy again, do you understand me y/n? I forbid it!'

No, god please no. My life is shitty as it is, and I really don't want to lose the one good thing about it.

'Oh stop it, Mother. You're going to give yourself a nosebleed.' I rolled my eyes.

She tightened the last strings on the corset extra tight, causing me to jump and turn around facing her. 'Y/n, this is not a game! Our situation is precarious. You know the money's gone!'

'Of course I know it's gone. You remind me every day!'

'Your father left us nothing but a legacy of bad debts hidden by a good name. And that name is the only card we have to play.'

'How can you put this on my shoulders?

'Do you want to se me working as a seamstress? Is that what you want? Do you want to see our fine things sold at an auction, our memories scattered to the winds? My God, Y/n, how can you be so selfish?'

'It's so unfair!' I looked away feeling the tears fill up my eyes.

'Of course it's unfair! We're women. Our choices are never easy.' My mother stormed out of the room.

Why does my life have to be so difficult?