Chapter IX - The ship will sink

Y/n's POV

From inside the sitting room we can hear knocking and voices in the corridor.

'I had better go dress.' My mother cleared her throat and left the room.

Will nodded and walked over in front of me.

SLAP!

Will had slapped me across the face. I turned back to face him and placed my hand on my cheek.

'You're a little slut, aren't you?'

I didn't even look at him in the eyes.

'Look at me, you little---'

There is a loud knock on the door and an urgent voice. The door opens and our steward puts his head in.

'Sir, I've been told to ask you to please put on your lifebelt, and come up to the boat deck.'

'Get out. We're busy.' William snarled.

The steward persists, coming in to get the lifebelts down from the top of a dresser.

'I'm sorry about the inconvenience, Mr. Hockley, but it's Captain's orders. Please dress warmly, it's quite cold tonight.'

The steward then handed me a lifebelt.

'Not to worry, miss, I'm sure it's just a precaution.'

I could tell he was trying to act like it was fine, but I could see right through him. He was scared.

'This is ridiculous.' William rolled his eyes.

~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~

We were all in the A-Deck foyer. I listened to my mother and Will's selfish conversations as I just stared off worrying about Jack, until I saw Mr. Andrews enter. He looked heartbroken.

I walked over to him with Will following behind as if I were to run off or something.

'I saw the iceberg, Mr. Andrews. And i see it in your eyes. Please tell me the truth.'

He took a deep breath, then spoke. 'The ship will s-sink.'

I raised my eyebrows and gulped. 'You're certain?'

'Yes. In an hour or so... all this... will be at the bottom of the Atlantic.'

William looked horrified. 'My god. The titanic? Sinking?'

'Please tell only who you must, I don't want to be responsible for a panic. And get to a boat quickly. Don't wait. You remember what I told you about the boats?'

'Yes, I understand. Thank you.' I gulped.

He then went off, moving among the passengers and urging them to put on their lifebelts and get to the boats.

~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~

'Come on, you heard the man. Get in the boat, sister.' Molly sighed while helping a woman into the boat.

'Will the lifeboats be seated according to class? I hope they're not too crowded--'

'Oh, mother shut up! Don't you understand? The water is freezing and there aren't enough boats... not enough by half. Half the people on this ship are going to die.' I yelled.

'Not the better half..' I heard Will mumble.

Then I realized. Jack is in third class. And he's handcuffed god knows where. He's going to die.

'You unimaginable bastard!' I shouted in Will's face.

Before he could answer, I heard Molly speaking to me and I saw that everybody was in the boat but me.

'Come on, y/n. You're next, darlin'.

I stepped back and shook my head.

'Y/n, get in the boat!' My mother gulped.

'Goodbye, mother.' I said before running off.

I was halfway down the deck when I felt someone grab my wrist. I turned to see William.

'Where are you going? To him? Is that it? To be a whore to that gutter rat?'

'I'd rather be his whore then your wife!' I yelled before spitting in his eye causing him to let go. I then ran off to find Jack.