Mr. Carmez

I let myself in the house and put my stuff down on the floor. "Mom?" I call walking up stairs. She magically appears in front of me. "No. That wouldn't work." She mutters to herself and I raise my eyebrows. "Go change." She demands. "What wrong with this?" I protest. "Leticia Ortiz you are going to go in that room and put on something different. Or I swear to god I will go out to some store and spend the last 45minutes finding the most girly dress I can find. I sigh and roll my eyes. "I'll go change." I tell her and she smirks in victory. I roll my eyes again and head to my room. I change my black tank top into a hot pink one and I change my ripped jeans for a pair of white jeans with no rips.

I find my mom in the kitchen after looking all over the house for her. "Better?" I ask. She looks me up and down and sighs. "I was hoping for a dress or at the very least a skirt." I raise my eyebrows and so does she. "Leticia-" "Fine." I cut in before she make some long speech. "Just this once." I promise her and she nods We both know thats not true but whatever. I go back upstairs and pull the one dress that I actually like out of my closet. I put it on and take a look in the mirror. Its a black long sleeve dress that goes to about my knees. I take my hair out of a messy bun and leave it down. Then I grab my only pair of heels and put them on. The heels are black with gold straps and match the dress.

I go back down stairs and find my mom. Again. I find her in the kitchen. "Happy now?" I ask and she turns around facing me. "Yes. Thank you." We hear the doorbell ring. "That must be him." My mom says and hurries to the door. "Mom!" I call chasing after her. She gets to the door and is about to open it when she looks at me. "Do I look ok?" I laugh. "That's why I was trying to stop you. Take your hair out of its ponytail and for the love of god take off your apron." She laughs and follows my instructions.

She opens the door and I see a man around my mom's age. He is wearing what looks like a business suit. He even has a bow tie and a pair of nice shoes. Either he just came from work or he just always dresses that way. Either way I don't like his style. I am a very casual person when it comes to clothes. If you can't wear shorts or jeans than I shouldn't be there. Which is exactly what I am thinking. That I shouldn't be here. I sigh as my mom invites the guy in. She gives me a quick look behind the guys back telling me to be nice. I almost sigh again but think better of it. "Are you hungry?" Mom asks as she closes the door behind the guy. "Starving." He says and they both laugh. "Leticia would you show Mr. Carmez to the dining room. Please?" She says and the guy turns towards me as if he is noticing me for the first time. I smile and he smiles back. To anyone who knows me they would know thats a fake smile but I guess he didn't pick up on that.

"Right this way." I say and lead him into the dining room. Its a pretty small room. There is a square wooden table in the middle of the room. I say the middle of the room but it takes up almost the whole room. There are four chairs around it and a chandelier hanging above it. "Take any seat you would like." I tell him and he sits down in the chair closes to him. "Would you like some water or something." I ask him unsure of what I'm supposed to say. "Sure. Why not." He says and I walk out of the room. "Thank god." I mutter under my breath as I reach the kitchen. "What's the problem? Also why are you here? I thought you were with our guest." She says as soon as she sees me. "Our guest wanted some water." I tell her as I get a glass out of the cabinet. She nods her head and I fill the glass with water. I also throw in a few ice cubes for good measure. "I'll be out with the food in just a minute." She tells me as I head back to the dining room.

I get to the dining room and place the glass in front of him. "Thanks." He says as I sit down. "She'll be out with food in a minute." I tell him and he nods. We both sit there in an awkward slience for a minute. "So. I hear you do well in school." He says in an awkward tone. "Yeah. I guess." I tell him not really sure what to say. I sit down in one of the chairs and we both kind of randomly look around the room. A minute later mom comes in. "How's it going in here?" She asks as she places a dish with lasagna in it in the middle of the table.

She sits down across from the guy and we all start eating. A painful hour later the house phone rings. "I'll get it." I say quickly and hop up from my chair. I practically run to the phone. Any reason not to be in there is a great reason. "Hello?" I say as I answer the phone. "Hey." I hear someone say and instantly recognize the voice as Dom's. "What's up?" I ask wondering what he needs this time. Almost every day he forgets to bring something home from school. Almost every night I lend whatever it is him. "The team and I are going to a race in a little while. I know you have something going on but I thought maybe you could get out of it?" He asks me and I smile. A street race. Maybe by some miracle I'll even get to race tonight. Then I frown remembering Ashley will be there. Oh well. She is not going to ruin it for me. "Pick me up in thirty?" I ask him and he laughs. "I'll see you then." He says and then hangs up. I put the phone down and my mom walks in.

"Who was it?" She asks as she puts some dishes in the sink. "Dom. He asked if I could hang out with him and the others." I tell her and start walking towards the dining room. "Well I think you have been here long enough. You can go if you want." I stop and slowly turn around shocked. "Really?" I ask her shocked she gave in so easily. She nods her head. "Do you need to use my car?" She asks and I shake my head. "Dom is picking me up in thirty." I tell her and she shakes her head and laughs. "You were going to go no matter what I said. Weren't you?" She asks even though she already knows the answer. I nod my head. "Can I go change?" I ask her and she nods her head still laughing. "Come say bye before you leave." She calls to me as I leave the room.

I go upstairs to my room and throw open my closet doors. I quickly pick out a pair of ripped jeans and a black t-shirt with gold lettering. The shirt says 'Ride or Die'. I also grab my pair of black combat boots. I quickly change and decide to leave my hair down. I grab my wallet and stuff it in my boot. I head downstairs and just as I get to the bottom I hear a car horn. Dom must be here.

I walk over to the dining room but I don't see them in there. I hear my mom laugh and relize the sound is coming from the living room. I walk over there and see my mom sitting on the couch and Mr. Carmez sitting in a chair across from her. Both are holding a glass of wine. When did this turn into a date? "Hey." I say and they both turn towards me. Mr. Carmez gives me a looks of disgust. What was that about? "I'm leaving. I'll see you later." I tell my mom and she nods her head. "Call me if you plan on staying at Mia's ok? " She asks and I nod my head slightly confused. She never calls it Mia's. It's either Dom's or Tony's. I turns towards whatever his name is. "Bye. It was nice to meet you." I tell him and he nods his head. Clearly still disgusted with me. I leave to the room and start walking down the hall when I hear him talking about me.

"You let her leave the house like that?" He asks me mom. "Yes. All the time." She tells him and I hear him make a noise od disgust. "Well at least you have the common since to make her call you. Who is Mia?" He asks my mom and I start to get pissed. Who does this guy think he is? "Mia is one of her friends." She says and I understand why she called it Mia's house. If she said Dom or Tony is would seem like I was staying at a boyfriends house or something.

Dom honks the horn again just as I open the front door. I close the door and walk down the driveway. I open the passengers side door and slide in the car. "Ready?" He asks me and I nod my head. "I owe you big. That was insufferable." I say and jerk my thumb towards the house.