Chapter VII: The Mystery of the Frescoes

The three enchantresses stood behind the Queen mother in a line forming a shield around her mother, confusion reading from their faces like a fine book. The ballroom was said to be the favourite place of the last trio, but... No one, knew much about it. Indeed, there were bunch of stories, but over the course of time, people changed many facts, so the entire fabula of those old folktales depended on the surrounding it derived from. Some of them were happy, others not so much, but they all had one thing in common, the triplets were pure-hearted and that's why Elios race won.

The Queen looked at the frescoes, the beauty of the illustrations and the complete irregularity of it all. None of them made any sense whatsoever. Her face expression became somewhat disappointed. You see, just like her daughters, she was curious young girl once, too. When she first came in to the castle, and found out what the frescoes were, she was determined to find out the story they told, but over the course of the years, she slowly, but surely lost her hope... That was, until she gave a birth to three healthy little girls. "I know you must be all wondering if you're grounded for life or not. You see, when I first stepped inside of this castle, I was just a little girl, visiting the royal family with my parents, who were their good friends. However, I made myself a promise, I will find out what the frescoes meant.", she stepped forward, gently touching the surface, careful not to destroy any paint, "You see, for years I've been staring at these seemingly meaningless illustrations, trying to find out the truth, but I couldn't quite get to it. I do not blame you for snooping around for some answers, so I won't tell you to stop. However, I do wish to warn you to be careful what are you doing and whom you trust. Not everyone is our friend." She turned towards her daughters, catching them, for a brief moment, looking like a scared group of lambs, but they quickly straightened their backs, and washed their faces from any emotion, making their mother proud. Ever since they were little girls, she always taught them to walk carefully, to wear a brave face, and, without a doubt, are determined not to reveal anyone their weaknesses. Only then, are they going to be worthy of their crowns. Surely enough, the sisters listened to their mother carefully and learned to be brave and wise through their life. Some less than the others, but that's on their personality to blame.

"But, mother, if you couldn't find out the meaning, why bring us here?", Jueel asked, having a hard time keeping her attention away from the shiny crystal curtains that illuminated the entire room in rainbow colours throughout the day. Isn't it ironic, though? We have evolved so much from the times when our brains were the size of, what, a cherry? Yet, no matter how many years have passed, and how modern we are, our first impression of anything shiny is: WOW!!! Back to the story, but do think about it.

The Queen mother exhaled heavily, elegantly parting her hands and raising them up in the air, as if to say, I don't know. But she knew. "That is a little bit difficult to answer. Perhaps it's the best if I had told you the story that we all have heard about the three legendary sisters who once saved the kingdom.", the girls agreed and she proceeded, perhaps you should sit back and enjoy it too, it's an interesting one, "The story goes that never before have been born royal triplets in the Kingdom of the Light... So, when that finally happened, people thought it was a sign from the higher forces, that they are chosen ones. The king brought psychic to the castle, she told him about the prophecy and everyone decided to, more or less, worship the girls. It is said they grew up loved by the entire kingdom, the three beautiful young girls, much like yourselves. However, the older they got, the more anxious the entire Kingdom got. Everyone was expecting something to happen and since their relations with the Kingdom of the the Darkness weren't the best, to say the least, that's where they've expected the troubles to begin. It is said by most sources, the troubles began shortly after their introduction to the public as the heirs to the throne, when they were not much older from you. The king back then planned on marrying one of them to the son of the previous Dark King, as a way to ensure peace and to join the two kingdoms together, however, the greedy Dark King wanted more, he demanded entire kingdom to be ruled by himself, considering Eternal race to be superior to the Elios, race of the light. Once the Light King refused the terms, the Dark King declared a war between two kingdoms. It is said to be the battle like no other has ever happened. Both sides lost a lot. However, the Kingdom of the Light had slight advantage, the three sisters and their Power of the cojoined Hearts. To ensure the battle is ended, they chanted for three days and three nights, killing off entire race of Eternals, all but one... At the time, young Prince Daerik. Being a clever boy, he always was, he signed a peace treaty, promising not to ever declare a war while he is on the throne. To ensure the peace treaty is valid for the time to come, the sisters used up all of their power, combined with Prince Daerik's dark magic, to create a mountain no one was ever to cross again, and if they do, they will be exiled for eternity to come." The Queen took som time to regain the energy, and remember what was she going to say before this story came to her mind, before continuing to speak, her listeners quite eager to hear the reason for bringing them all here, "That is what the general story says about the events that happened during the lifetime of the first triplets, however, it always sounded too pure for me. Being a curious little creature, I would sit for days in front of the frescoes, wondering why would anyone want to make such a puzzle, if everything they did and everything that happened was so pure and nice. The great deed, as they would say. Once I realised the frescoes weren't made just for anyone to read, I started thinking who could actually understand them. For years I had no answer to that question, but the day I gave birth to you... It suddenly came to me." At this point, the girls were already at the brink of understanding it, but they let her say the final point, "It took three princesses and their magic, to create the puzzle... It will take no less, to solve it."

************************************

In order to not be forgotten by the algorithm, and maybe even get noticed, I am publishing this before editing it out. I will edit this chapter first thing in the morning for I am about to pass out.

Good night babes!

-Love, Veronica