Chapter VIII: An Unsolvable Puzzle And A Request

As soon as the Queen mother explained them her idea of how to find out what the frescoes mean, the sisters started working on the ways to solve the puzzle. They stared at the numerous illustrations of the first triplets, the golden fruit tree, wall-like mountain, all the way to the girls seemingly playing with the light, and all three of them standing by each other, holding their hands up as if they were supposed to hold bowls, only connection making with their hands with the middle sister. At the connection, on one side stood the sun, and on the other, the moon.

Sisters sat there for hours, however, without results. Princess Loumenna was first to break, angrily exhaling and laying down on the floor, "This is ridiculous! Those three lunatics were thinking who knows what as they made these!" Her tone was reflecting her feeling of utter annoyance almost too perfectly. Even anger looked breathtaking on her face. Don't you think? Just look at her, that silky wavy red hair resting so peacefully on the floor, those cat-like emerald eyes that seemed to have even more fire in them while she's frustrated, over her cheeks, perfect nose and juicy lips, to her sharp jawline and long neck. She was in a word, perfect. And her voice, gosh don't get me started on that deep, yet feminine voice, it was like a fine melody to the ears, but, at the same time, perfect reminder that she is a strong Elios, very able to fight you, if you do her wrong.

"Oh, Luna... You give up too easily.", Jueel joined her on the floor, choosing to lay on the side facing her, rather than laying on the back. Her smile was genuine, as she stared at her beloved sister. For years, the two sisters shared such a bond, it was almost enviable compared to their relations with the third sister. Maybe it was because they understood each other better, or maybe it was because Ainnea considered Stella their fourth sister and her closest friend, that allowed these two to form such a strong bond between one another. Far from them being distanced from their sister, in fact, the three were very close, it was just that Loumenna and Jueel had one spark more because they've spent so much time together. With that cute face, and those rosy cheeks, combined with big blue eyes and full juicy red lips that always seemed to smile, she made a perfect counterpart.

Ainnea joined them, mirroring Jueel's position, resting her head on her hand, "I'm with Luna on this one. Who knows if these illustrations are supposed to mean anything at all. They could have just chosen to make the room prettier, by adding few nice frescoes that brightens their shine and brings them more glory!" The three sisters giggled at Ainnea's exaggeration of the first triplets, but all three felt sour taste in their mouth when they realised they were raised in the same fashion, and might become just like their ancestors. Surely it sounds nice being the most powerful trio to exist, but... What if the stories are wrong and the first triplet wasn't as innocent and kind-hearted as they sound? That's the kind of thought that makes everyone feel both guilty and afraid. Guilty, because you are questioning your own ancestors and their intentions. Afraid, because what if the stories were true, and you are actually the monster you were raised to fear?

"Maybe we should just give up. It's getting late, father will be looking for us if we don't show up for dinner.", Loumenna said, closing her eyes, "But it feels so nice like this, in an empty room full of puzzles and unanswered questions, to just think."

"That, I agree.", Jueel laid down, pretending to rest her head on Loumenna's shoulder.

Ainnea chuckled, "Ah, the two of you... Should I be jealous?" Although she was joking, her sisters decided to show her they love her just as much, so they instantly repositioned their sister between them and laid her down, both of them holding her hands. "Do you ever wish, you were born as some daughter of a farmer? That you don't have to constantly stay inside and be pretty."

"All the time!", said Loumenna.

"Never!", answered Jueel, at the same time as her sister.

Before they got to discuss anything, the maid entered the room and let them know the dinner is served and their parents are waiting for them. Trying to keep the low profile on this one, knowing their father would be against it, sisters remained silent and behaved themselves. However, once they were alone in their bedrooms, they got back to their thoughts. Back to the mystery and questions.

Stella was finishing up the preparations for princess Ainnea's bedtime, brushing her long dark brown hair. "I haven't seen you the entire day... For a moment, I got scared that awful man came back and kidnapped you and your sisters.", she said concerned.

What she didn't realise is that she just gave an idea to the princess. Ainnea chuckled, "Oh, my darling Lela, you are being silly. Worry not, for the man you speak of is far beyond the wall.", she stood up and hugged her, "Thank you for caring for me, but I've had a busy day and am feeling quite tired. I'd like to go to sleep now. Okay?" Her best friend nodded and they said their goodbyes, but as soon as she was left alone in the room, Ainnea turned towards the window. She rushed towards it and took a deep breath. "Good evening, Your Majesty. I hope you don't mind me speaking to you like this... I feel like, if I speak to you, you might listen. Forgive me, Your Majesty, I do not know why I've had the sudden urge to talk to you like this. Perhaps, you will hear me, or maybe you will not.", she smiled, "Thankfully, if you don't, you won't know I was speaking to myself in an empty room, in the middle of the night. I do have a request, though, now that I've already started monologuing... There is something I wish to talk to you about, knowing that it is only you, who could know the real truth behind the topic. King Daerik, if you do hear me, I wish to speak to you, in private. Right now."

Her heart was pounding loudly, as she grabbed her robe, and wore it over the nightgown, knowing it would be inappropriate, if he actually showed up, to allow him to see her in such an outfit... Or should I say, the lack of it? She walked back and forth, wondering if she made the right choice, but in the end, coming to a conclusion she must get at least a clue. Minutes seemed like an hours, and she was feeling more and more insecure, when the doorknobs of her bedroom doors finally started creaking...

************************************

And hello there again! Do you have any idea how tired I am?

No, probably not.

I have been dealing with art the entirety of the day.

I did my make up in wintery blue colours, then I drew a pretty picture of Loren Gray, and I have written one more chapter for this book, and after that edited this one.

If I've made mistakes tho, blame it on lack of sleep, it's 1.30 am atm.

Comment, share and have fun!

-Love, Veronica