Chapter IX: Our Little Secret

"Your Highness, why are you not in your bed?", her maid asked, as she walked over to the mirror and put the brush on the table. "Do you have troubles sleeping?"

Thinking quick, Ainnea came up with the only possible answer that could satisfy the curiosity of her best friend, "Oh, no. My sisters requested my immediate presence in their conversation. Trust me, the topic is nothing to worry about.", faking a soft yawn, she sat on her bed, "I shall be sleeping, so I do not wish to be disturbed. Understood?"

"Of course, Your Highness. I shall see you in the morning. Goodnight.", she smiled and waved at her friend, before slipping out of the royal bedroom.

To ensure no one gets inside of her bedroom again, she quickly stood up and locked the doors. "Brave thing to do," a deep, seductively frightening voice made her flinch back and take the fighting stance. She was never much of a fighter, but she liked how strong she looks standing like that, her palms radiating with blue energy. However, the second she realised whom it was, she straightened her posture and readjusted the robe that got open during her sudden moves. The dark figure that stood next to the window, leaning on the wall behind himself, let out a demonic chuckle, or so it seemed to her, "Or, perhaps, our brave little princess, isn't that brave?"

She approached him, keeping some safe distance between the two of them. It's one thing to be confident in front of an entire castle full of people who could protect her, but it's something else completely, to be alone in a room with him. "Your Majesty, please, don't be silly. You just caught me off the guard.", although, she had no reason to do so, Ainnea simply felt the need to explain her reaction to him, but soon, she realised the mistake and took a deep breath, "I see you heard my little monologue. Perhaps, you were watching me."

"I've just heard the small bit at the end, because you've mentioned my name. Don't flatter yourself, Your Highness, I have no intentions of stalking you from the dark.", smirking, King Daerik pushed himself away from the wall and closed the distance between them, gently sliding his fingers down her cheek. "I'm a very straight forward man, darling, if I wish to see you, or hurt you, I won't be hiding in the dark." The girl was young and still to experience the world of romance, and King Daerik being this handsome and alluring was enough to create fireworks inside of her. Ainnea was losing it and rightfully so. You can imagine how surprised she was, when he kicked her out of her trance by grabbing her by the jaw, "Now, either tell me what do you want, or I am leaving! I do not have time to waste, with a kingdom like my own."

Although, Dark was technically ordering her something, princess decided to remain calm and try to be as clear as possible, "I have been thinking about the history of the castle and my family. However, many things were left unsaid.", she walked over to her bed and sat down, resting her hands, one on top of the other, in her lap. "Please do take the chair and sit.", at the girl's words, he realised this wasn't going to be as quick as he hoped, so he listened to the advice and took the chair, and turned the back to the front. He sat down, resting his hands and head on the back of the chair. Sitting like that, bathing in the light of the numerous candles, he looked rather nice. His hair wasn't tied back and was messily let down, instead. He was wearing white loose shirt, black pants and black boots. Even more, he was soaked, which triggered princess' attention to the point she almost forgot what was she about to say, "As I have said, I would like to know more, but the books don't hold much. For example those frescoes in the ballroom, they say the first triplets made them all alone, but that sounds like a lie."

"Alright, and you want me to tell you something about the kingdom and the castle, that I have entered like five times in my lifetime?", he asked, although it sounded more like a statement, from his tone and unusual amusement in his eyes.

"Yes!", the girl smiled brightly, "I was thinking, everyone is telling the stories, but no one was there... Yet... You were. If I'm correct, you have lived during the reign of the first triplets."

A smile appeared on his face, as he shook his head, not believing himself he was going this low, "Listen, darling, I appreciate you telling me that I'm old, but there is not much to say. It's true, the three made that frescoes; I've seen the castle twice, it looked better than now, much more elegant; people were more stuck up, and everyone was fearing me like I was going to kill them if they even think of me, let alone talk to me. The war was not pretty, both sides lost many great soldiers. I've lost-", he stopped all of a sudden, catching himself being unable to speak his mind. It still hurt... After all these centuries, it was still like an open wound.

The beauty before him could see his struggle, as she remembered what happened, evil or not, they were his family, and he was suffering, so she did the only thing she thought was going to help... She stood up and took a step closer to him, gently brushing his hair from his face, all the while using her magic to dry and warm him up. He flinched at her touch, for a moment seeming he was going to protest, but he stayed calm, silent, just looking at her, "You have a right to feel lonely, you know? I am surrounded by my favourite people, so I never feel that way, but...", she put her hands on top of his and squeezed them gently, hoping to get through those walls of his, "Let this night be our little secret. If you're feeling lonely right now, I will keep you company as long as it's needed until you feel good again."

Daerik was angry, sad, confused, flattered a bit and somewhere along all of that, thankful for her words. He knew no one can change who he is and what he's done, nor they can change what happened, so why bother trying. Instead, he put on his mask and once again skillfully danced this masquerade away, letting out a deep, frightening, angry laugh, "I have told you already, darling, you cannot understand what you know nothing about! I have waisted my time here long enough, you may keep it a secret, or tell everyone I was here, I couldn't care less. Good night!", he said and before she could respond, waved his hand, disappearing in the darkness.

************************************

I have no idea. It's not going to be a full-time romance book, but you gotta understand one very important thing:

I'm an annoying romantic piece of writer, deal with it. Or don't. Whatever you feel like is the best choice, I support.

I'm also Libra... Like, whatever you read in the horoscope about a Libra. It's true for me. 100%

Anyways, thank you for reading. Comment, share, vote, whichever you feel like x3

Any feedback is good feedback.

-Love, Veronica