Chapter XVI: Darkness and the Light

Minutes passed like hours, and our pretty princess was getting more and more impatient by each second that the staff wasn't finished and fast asleep. She walked around her room impatiently, constantly re-adjusting the robe over her nightgown as a way to calm down her nerves a bit. The glowing rose was resting peacefully in the vase, with the rose he gave her earlier this evening. Although, completely opposite, the two flowers created such a harmonious beauty in the contrast, that the view was simply enchanting.

Taking a deep breath she stopped, sensing the last of their staff leaving the castle to go to sleep in the separate building, made just for them. Guards were the only ones around, but the Queen mother made sure they do not go into the ballroom tonight.

Alright, here we go.

She could hear her heart already thumping loud and clear, as she has never done such a thing before. Sneaking around the castle in the middle of the night wasn't her style, nor was it allowed by her father, who kept all three sisters constantly under surveillance. It was only recently, that the Queen was able to convince him to relax a bit, because they have reached their maturity enough to be independent, at least when it comes to where they will go inside of the palace.

Her lips parted, allowing her to softly say just one simple sentence, "Daerik, it's time." Without having to wait, the Dark King showed up in the matter of seconds, dressed rather differently from what was one to expect, given his reasons for being here, tonight. Wearing all black combination, with traces of red here and there, he seemed pretty gothic, like a true vampire master he is. Top hat, knee-length coat, tie, pants and shoes, were clear indicator he has been on more than one party tonight. Blinking few times, to make sure she was seeing correctly, Princess Ainnea rolled her eyes and sighed, "Here I am, dying of nervousness, trying to figure out what to do, and the great King of Vega is going to parties!"

"Jealous?", he smirked as he approached her. She just scoffed, but didn't attempt to confirm or deny his claim. Instead, she followed him with her honey gaze, wondering just what is happening in that silly head of his, when he's not trying to be smart. Perhaps, she got her answer, because the second that thought crossed her mind, his left hand fell at the bottom of her back, and pulled her against him, closing any distance that was left. "Let's see if my little dove is capable of flying.", he waved his hand and the darkness enveloped them.

All she felt were strange waves of shock flowing through her body, but they were gone too soon, for her to focus on it. What she did focus on, was the fact how odd it felt to be pressed against him, unsure whether she finds his muscled up physique attractive or intimidating. When she opened her eyes again, the two were standing in the middle of the grand ballroom. Empty like that, especially during the night, this enormous space seemed too frightening... Even with all the lights on. The ballroom was the only room in the castle, that was always shining bright. The orders that go back way back.

Without wasting any more time, the duo approached frescoes. "Maybe we should think of a proper incantation?", she whispered, trying to make as less sound as she possibly could, to prevent any inconvenience from happening.

The tall man next to her, shook his head, his mind wandering around the illustrations that represented the three sisters and their powers. "Has your kind ever heard of silent magic? That's why Eternals were always better at it. Fast and precise. No chanting, just mind control over your powers."

"If you're done with praising yourself, we have work to do.", she was already regretting the decision of inviting him here, but it was too late to back down now.

We can all just sit and hope he doesn't screw this up.

Dark King smirked and took her hand in his, already focusing his dark energy. He took out a small knife and cut both of their palms, before closing them together. She mimicked him and used her own magic, "Light and dark, together they stand. Reveal all your secrets, they now command." the blue and black energy enlaced and spread across the walls, the drops of their blood poured to the floor, making a trail towards the frescoes as she kept chanting. Seeing she needs his help, he started chanting with her.

The entire room seemed to have started moving, both of them feeling dizzy, before another explosion of power happened. All the candles went dark, all the torches extinguished. The two fell to the floor, sitting in a complete darkness. Princess immediately started having a panic attack, gasping for air and reaching out to at least know where he is. Unlike her, he had quite a good vision in the dark, so he took her by the hand and embracing her, hoping it will help her to stay calm.

They could have created the light, but for some reason, neither of them did. Instead, they stayed like that, embracing one another, as she trembled in fear, burying her face into his chest, so that she doesn't have to look around and see nothing. It's been a while since she felt this scared of the dark. One couldn't blame her, though, she was the creation of the light, the purest form of the living being in possession of such a great powers. It was like the universe decided in advance she is supposed to fear everything dark, except she didn't fear the very product of the darkness. Despite the prophecy and centuries of hatred between their species, she sat there in his embrace, feeling like she was at the safest place in the world. Like no one and nothing could hurt her.

That's when they both felt strange energy radiating through both of them, the rose window on the top of the room opening wide, allowing the moonlight to join the pair, illuminating the walls in oddly precise motions. The pain in their palms disappeared, and the girl stopped trembling like a lost kitten. The king looked at the wall in disbelief, his eyes wide open and his muscles stiffening enough to alert the fragile girl in his arms something is happening. "What is it?", she asked, not daring to move away and look for herself.

"I think you should see for yourself." He didn't bother saying anything else, or explaining her what's happening. Instead, he released her from his grip, and allowed her to turn around, and open her eyes to see what they managed to create.

The princess' eyes grew wide open, as she covered her mouth with her hands, to prevent herself from screaming, "How is this possible?"

************************************

Hello lovelies!

Forgive me for the breaks I seem to take constantly! How are you today?

This one was a wild ride from the start, wasn't it?

I hope you liked it! Let me know what you think in the comments down below! Any feedback is good feedback.

Thank you so much for coming even this far in reading this story, it means a lot.

-Love, Veronica