Chapter 9 - The Invitation

My room is my sanctuary, my safe haven from all the things that I have deemed unnecessary to care for. All four walls, a pale grey colour, the large one on the left masked by dark, black wood cupboards and shelves, a wide television screen hovering above them. As I lay restlessly atop the deep grey sheets of my bed, I gazed thoughtfully out of the clean, glass window of which was shielded by  thin, white blinds. Next to this is my overcrowded wooden desk and black office chair. The desk drawers are full of coloured pencils, computer cables and papers - sheets absolutely riddled with either drawings and doodles of random snakes and skulls or notes taken from lessons that I had later decided I will never use. The top of my desk covered in papers alike these or schoolbooks. The shelving along my wall contains revision guides and organised binders including more notes from school, drawings and the occasional print out of local newspapers that I consistently refuse to read. My bedroom door is black ebony with a dull, grey handle. 

Suddenly, my thoughts are interrupted by the vigorous vibrations of my Iphone XS. Hm... I don't know this number, I slowly slide my pale fingers across the bottom of the now illuminated screen, "Who is this?" I inquire, my tone deep, enraged - How dare this stranger disturb my silence? "Hey, Jake! I wasn't sure you would pick up..." Wait, I know that annoying, overenthusiastic voice, it's Chris..."Christopher...How did you even get my number?" I believe the confusion was shown in my tone, "Oh... I asked Cara!" Confused, and a little unnerved, I questioned further "Billingsley? How does she even ha-" 

"Ha ha... That's not important right now anyway.." Chris interrupted, "I just wanted to apologize for earlier, I realize I may have just been seeing things.." Huh? Maybe he hasn't gone mad after all, completely anyway, "Good." My voice became blank, dismissive as usual,

"Also.." Oh, God! There's more... "I was just wondering if you wanna come hang out with us on Saturday?" Ha Ha, No.

"Who's 'us'?"  He is really bad at telling the full story here,

"Just a few friends" Chris sounds suspicious and I don't like it!

"No." 

"What? Come on, Jake, it'll be fun." What is his definition of fun?

"No." I continued,

"Please? Do it for me?" Oh! So he's begging me now? Well I guess I'll have to out of pity, I just hope it's over soon..."Fine! If you just shut up about it!" I snapped,

"Yes! You won't regret it, promise!" And with that, he ended the call. Oh no, what have I gotten myself into?