Chapter 16 - Skeletons

Childishly waving from the open window of the back seat, Christopher wears an enormous smile spread from cheek to cheek. Oh hey, that rhymes... I scoff aloud at how expressive he is and roll my eyes. I see James in the drivers seat, talking to someone next to him but I can't quite make out who it is. The burnt orange 2018 Kia Sedona growls in wait to consume it's next victim. That would be me...

Approaching the monstrous vehicle with steady caution, to ensure that I don't trip over the more prominent roots from the rosebushes that stretch out through the gravel. I'd rather not make a fool of myself. Christopher opens his door and shuffles across to the empty seat beside him, I climb in. The seats are made of bright grey leather, the windows are slightly tinted black. The seat-belts are also grey. I close the door. Behind Christopher sits Paisley Moore, I haven't mentioned her until now, and for good reason. Not once have I spoken to her since... Uh...

Ahem! Cue flashback!

---3rd October 2022.---

It's Monday, the first day of the week. The first day in a real school, for me at least... Mary... Mum... I just want to stay with you forever...
"Don't be nervous, I'm sure you'll fit in just fine!" Her tone, reassuring. How can she be so calm? Homeschooling was easy, now I have to go to some preppy private school just because Arthur wants his wife to stop 'wasting' her time on me. "I know it'll take some getting used to, but who knows? Maybe you'll make some new friends." I look down on her. Not in a bad way, I just mean she's really short... 5'5, and I'm 5'11. "Do I have to? I mean like... Do I really have to?"

"Yes ,Jacob, you do." Ugh... When she calls me Jacob instead of Jake, that's how I know she's serious. She stares into my eyes, her light wrinkles and graying eyebrows hold a stern expression. I stare back, frowning childishly, arms folded, pouting. Rolling my eyes I finally succumb to the oh so almighty power of Mary Nightingale's parental authority, "Fine." She forces my arms down so she can adjust the collar of my jacket, "Good, now go put your shoes on, Mr Carson is waiting for you. Oh no, I hope she doesn't expect me to make my first impression in a limousine...

The halls of the school are crowded with students... There's so many people here... I suck in a deep breath, bracing myself before entering the chaos. "How am I going to find anything in this place?" I whisper under my breath. A light tap on my shoulder, I guess that wasn't as quiet as I thought, "Hey, are you alright?" Her eyes a deep emerald green, her hair a smooth caramel. She wore an expression of concern. "Hello?"

"Ah... Um, Sorry. I think I spaced out..."

"That's okay, what's your name?"

"Um, I'm Jake..."

"Cool! Hi, Jake, I'm Paisley."

The very first person I spoke to at the school. She was nice, smiling the entire time... She showed me around the school, helped me find my locker and walked me to my first class. We became friends, at least for the rest of the month...

---November 4th 2022---

Friday... Biology... I haven't seen Mary today, 'nor have I seen Arthur, I assumed they'd overslept and went to school. I'm worried, something feels off... It's the first lesson of the day, but they're all I can think about. I hope she's okay, I'm not bothered about Arthur.

30 Minutes have passed, there's a knock on the classroom door. "Come in." Miss Hollow gestures. It's a police officer? All the students attention turns towards the door, except for mine ofcourse, I didn't do anything wrong, I continue to take notes from the revision textbook on my desk, we have a topic assessment coming up and I'd like to be prepared, I'm also taking notes for Paisley, she said she's too busy with other things. It seems like she's always too busy to do her own work these days, I wonder what she's doing. "May I speak to Jake Rowley?" What? What have I done wrong? "You may, but can I ask what about?"

"I believe this is rather a personal matter." I rise from my seat slowly, I can almost feel the eyes of everyone watching me.

Nothing could have prepared me for what I was about to hear.

"I'm sorry to inform you, but Mary Nightingale has passed away this morning."

After that day I avoided any and all social situations. Paisley and I drifted apart and she became one of Gemma Rosen's 'minions.'

---May 20th 2023---

How unlucky must I be to get stuck in such an awkward situation... Next to Paisley sits Annie-Elizabeth Ross. I think she's a bit weird so I just don't go anywhere near her. In the passenger seat next to James is Evan Lucas. I think he's Gay but I'm not sure, he might just be really camp for the sake of the writer giving him an interesting personality, cough cough.

Awkwardly I whisper to Chris, "So um... Where are we actually going?"