Chapter 12 - Whistle

'Friday 19th May 2023'

Written on the top right corner of my page... Inside... My physics book...

A deep sigh heartily embellows my throat. Exhaustion forcing my heavy eyelids to slide shut - It's only the first lesson of the day and I'm already drifting off to sleep. I feel the weight of my head resting dependently against my left palm, unable to cope with the pressure my elbow falters against the patient cream desktop. 

Black.

----------------------------------------------------------------

The room is empty... No, not a room... It's - 

...A nothing; Blank... Peace. 

Where am I?

- I am not here... I am nowhere...

I hear... I hear breathing, heavy... Paced breathing... Like someone who has just run laps, tired and out of breath... 

Coughing.

Choking.

Sniffling.

Hard, heavy breathing. 

Now vigorous stomping on a cold, echoing marble. As if there were someone within this great darkness, running on bare feet. Running for their life...

"Jake..." A voice calls out faintly, calmly, 

"Jake?" Now with a slight sense of frustration...

"Jake!" Anger, boiling rage... Yelling for... For me?

That's my name.

Mine.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Swiftly snapping back to reality, I reimmerse myself into the lesson, blinded by the bright, beaming holy spirit, the classrooms white light scorching my retinas. 

"Jake!" Snapped Mr Billingsley,

Hey... Isn't he Cara's dad?

"Hm?" I mumbled a weak response to the best of my ability, I must've fallen asleep. And, Jesus! I have a splitting headache... "Jake, I don't appreciate you falling asleep in my lesson." His tone is pungent with authority, but alas, I strive to defy that, "I don't appreciate you boring me with your lesson." Muttering hazily,

"What was that?" Mr Billingsley, in obvious offence to my arrogance, expects me to take back what I had said, but in opposition,  I raise my eyes to meet his, daring him with a light smirk, "I said, I don't appreciate you boring me with your lesson..." Aggressively spitting my words at him, the lights begin to flicker. Every other student in the room turned from staring at the impending debate between the teacher and I, to muttering between themselves about the lights.

Suddenly, the power cut out. Everything went dark... And then, a violent scream of pure horror and agony - A girl...

When the lights had come back on, everyone began to search the room with swift glances for the source of that alarming interruption. Mr Billingsley abruptly turned to the door and started  powering towards it, so naturally, as did all the students...

Following him curiously into the hallway not a single one of them was prepared for what came next...