Chapter 13 - Precious

Frozen in place...

Every. Single. Student...

Even our teacher, Mr Billingsley, was at a complete and utter loss for words...

Gemma Rosen, an exceedingly popular girl that goes through life with an entourage of 'mean girls' constantly by her sides on a whim. Her usual high posture now threatened by her sulky kneeling at the feet of the captain of the tennis team, James McDonald - And no... Not in that way!  "Forget it, Gemma! No more chances! We're through!" Barking out aggressively, He seems infuriated.  And with that, James stormed off, leaving Gemma in a painful state between tears and shame... Ah.. I see what's happened here...

I can't help it, once again, just like with Christopher I feel myself about to burst into an uncontrollable fit of laughter. Slipping away smoothly from the appropriately distracted crowd of even more gathering students, I make my way into the bathroom...

As soon as the door closes, the thought that had been loitering in my mind since the moment I left the classroom. "God, they're all so pathetic!" I jest, smiling and giggling lowly like a giddy five year old... What is this?  My heart begins to pound inside my chest, abruptly my laughter comes to a halt and I lean over the cold bathroom sink, unable to catch my breath...

Gripping the firm edge, my hands begin to shake rapidly. I slowly raise my head to look into the mirror. Gritting my teeth, all I feel is pain... A tremendous headache. I pause and look up only with my eyes...

Red

Blood red.

The mirror shatters, the faint buzzing of the lights only gets louder and louder - Panting, gasping desperately for oxygen... I'm so cold... Icy tears gently slide down my cheeks as I shiver against my freezing veins, like struggling a battle with a divine entity...  Squeezing my eyes shut, everything seemed to stop... 

I feel...

I feel nothing... It's so quiet... Peace...

I open my eyes, they're...'Normal'.

I catch my reflection in a broken shard of the mirror, then look to my hands, I've stopped shivering... What the hell just happened?

Fleeing the scene as to avoid any questioning about the tragic mess of broken glass and the cracked marble of where I was so helplessly gripping the sink, I make a beeline for the exit...

Scoping around the outside of the bathroom door, a criminal escapist, I decide that it is safe to leave the sanctity of the bathroom.

Everyone seems to have returned to their classrooms...      Good.

I pull out my phone from the back pocket of my dusty, black jeans and dial Mr Carson to come and pick me up... I can't go back to class like this... Not after what just happened...

...

..

.

What did just happen?