The Surprise

I picked up my phone, anxious to see if there was anything from Peter. I was supposed to call him around this time of night, but I wanted to see if he'd sent me something during my last class.

My roommate, Marie Rose, was gone for the break. When I'd first met her, I was ecstatic to find out that we both had two first names. She was tall, and had a pretty bob that went to her shoulders. 

I was finally free of homework and stress for a while, but I felt more chained than anything. I couldn't go see Peter because of homework and classes. After three years of college, it had gotten easier for us to be in long distance. Still, it had been almost a month since I'd seen him. I craved kissing him, seeing his pretty boy eyes...

"Hey Covey." a soft voice said behind me. Two arms snaked around my waist and pulled me into a boy's body. Not just any boy. My boy.

I turned around and saw Peter's huge grin. It didn't take very long for my own smile to appear.

He leaned down and kissed me hard. The kiss felt unquenchable, and I knew in that moment that Peter had missed me just as much as I had missed him.

When we broke off, I looked up at him and almost cried. In fact, a few tears slipped from my eyes as I gazed at my handsome boyfriend.

He used his thumb to streak them away from my face. "What's wrong Covey?"

"Nothing." I said, meaning it. "I just missed you so much." 

I hugged him tightly, and he just held me like that for a long time.

We sat on my bed, not needing to do anything, just happy to see each other.

"So did anything interesting happen today?" Peter asked, flopping down onto my mattress. I went down with him, snuggling into his shoulder.

"Not really. I've been caught up on homework for a while, so my schedule's been pretty free." My teachers were impressed at my ability to responsibly finish things. I supposed that was my inner Margot.

"That's my Lara Jean. Always onto it."

Peter flopped back onto the bed and closed his eyes. "Lacrosse was crazy this week. I had no time to just chill like this."

I laid back with him and intertwined my leg with his. "How did you get time off to come up here?"

He opened his eyes. "Our winter break gets out earlier than yours, remember? Don't you still have one more day?"

I nodded slowly, thinking of the day ahead of me. "What are you going to do while I'm at my class tomorrow?"

Peter kissed me long and slow. "I'll just sleep or something. Go get a bagel. Your class is only an hour and a half right?"

"Yes."

"Good. Then we can spend the rest of the day together before we drive up to your dad's house on Saturday."

I smiled, and kissed him again.

He rolled on top of me, and started kissing me. These kisses were thirsty and long, like the one when he first came into my dorm. I wrapped my arms around his neck, and started playing with his hair.

My alarm dinged, signaling that it was time for bed. Peter jumped.

"What was that?"

"It was my bedtime alarm. We should probably go to sleep."

I wasn't sure about where Peter was sleeping. I wanted him to stay with me, but he might just go sleep on the couch or something.

Reluctantly, I stood up, and went to put my pajamas on. Margot bought me a sexy nightgown when we were in Korea last, and I wasn't going to miss a chance to show it off to Peter.

He whistled when I came out of my bathroom. "You look sexy Covey."

I smiled at him. "Where were you planning on sleeping?"

He had a quizzical look on his face. "I guess I could rent a room for the night or..."

"No!" I said. Peter looked at me.

"Sorry. What I mean is," I took a breath. "I want you to stay."
He grinned. "I was hoping you'd say that."

Peter took his shirt off, and unbuttoned his pants. I got into my bed, and laid my head on the pillow, filled to the brim with exhaustion and happiness.

Peter got into my bed and wrapped his arms around me. He kissed me softly, and pressed his body up against mine.

He was so warm. The beds at UNC were tiny, so we were almost melded into one person.

With Peter's arms around me, I felt safe. I felt loved. He made me feel like the most special person in the world. I wanted to make him feel the same way.

I tilted my head up and kissed him again. He laughed through my lips. "You are too irresistible Lara Jean."

We settled into each other, and fell asleep.