Month 9

The books in my backpack are heavy, but I keep it to myself so Peter won't say anything.
School just started again, and we're getting off on a long weekend. The baby has been kicking me all day, and I'm tired.
When we get home, I collapse in front of the door.
"Lara Jean! Are you okay?"
"Yes. I just need to rest. I've been having contractions all day."
Peter drops his books. "Lara Jean! We need to go to the birthing center!"
I shake my head. "Peter, the baby won't come for hours. We'll go soon, but not too soon."
Peter sighs. "Fine."
I walk around the kitchen, making dinner, and Peter watches me like a hawk.
As I'm getting ready for bed, the contractions only get stronger. I put on the short green nightgown that Peter loves, and try to breathe.
Then, a bigger one hits me. I collapse against the wall, on the floor with my legs spread out. I put my hands on my belly, and try to breathe some more.
Peter finds me like this, squeezing my eyes shut from the pain, and keeping my hands on my belly.
He doesn't see me at first. "Lara Jean?"
Then he turns to the other side of the bed.
At this point, the contractions are so intense that tears are rolling down my face. He kneels by my side.
"Hey, hey. It's okay Lara Jean." he says. "Is it time to go to the center?"
I nod, and he helps me up.. He helps me up and leads me to the car before going back in and grabbing our hospital bags.
He drives in a hurry, and I have to remind him to follow the speed limit a couple times.
When we get to the birthing center, Peter rushes me out of the car.
We get checked in, and go to the room where I’ll be giving birth. Peter helps me change into a gown, and I’m hooked up to an IV, and given an epidural. The pain seems fuzzy now, and I come in and out of consciousness. I keep breathing like Peter tells me, and it all doesn’t seem so terrible now.
Then, I feel the sheets get wet. My water broke. Peter notifies the nurse, and she goes to get the midwife.
I’m holding Peter’s hand, and he’s assuring me that he’ll be right there for me the entire time.