Secret Unveiled

After dinner, I put my nightgown on, and got into bed. Peter stripped down and got in beside me.

He kissed me hard, and I knew he was trying to move into sex. I couldn't though. He would see my bruise, and I wasn't ready to tell him yet.

I kissed him back, and he slid his hand under my nightgown, putting it on my breast.

"Ouch!" I faked.

Peter stopped immediately. "Are you okay?"

I screwed my face a little. "They're just a little more sensitive now."

He nodded. "We can try when they're not feeling sensitive."

I smiled and cuddled against his chest, allowing sleep to overcome me.

"You little slut, I'll have you yet! Every day you walk by my tree, and every day is another secret. You want to, I know you do."

He dragged me to the backseat of a car, and laid me down, taking my clothes off me. He put his hands on me and I screamed.

I bolted awake and screamed again. Peter instantly awoke. He put his arms around me and started asking questions, but I couldn't hear them.

All I could see was the man lying on top of me. The man who wasn't Peter. I burst into tears and leaned into him. He seemed surprised, but he embraced me all the same.

"Shh, it was just a nightmare. I'm here for you. I'll always be here."

I just cried harder, because I knew it was true. He was so loyal. His own mother said so.

Peter stroked my hair, and whispered sweet words into my ear, being the sweet boyfriend he was.

Lying on his chest after I had calmed down, Peter played with the hem of my nightgown. By the time I realized what he was doing, it was too late. He had already seen the enormous bruise.

"Lara Jean, when did this happen?" he whispered. I could tell he was mad, but not at me.

"It was this man. It's always the same man. The only way I can get back here is through this one path, and every day, like clockwork, he is there. And every day he hits me because I refuse his advances."

Peter had found the concealer on my cheek, and was rubbing it off, revealing the long scratches.

"I think I should walk you back." he said decisively. "Just wait up for me after your last class, and I'll walk you back, and make sure you're safe." Peter kissed my forehead.

I was about to shake my head, but the look in his eyes told me that he wouldn't be argued with.

The next day, Peter met me at the pillar by my classroom. We walked silently towards our house. When we got to the tree, Peter slipped his hand into my back jeans pocket, and I smiled at the reference.

When we passed the tree, the guy looked surprised. He glared and stalked away.

I triumphed, knowing that he probably wouldn't bother me again. I still felt safer with Peter by my side, so I knew he would walk me back from now on.