White wings make you fly 2/2 ch.2

"Gertrude you are becoming a pain. Mila, go fetch the slave's garments."

"Yes ma'am."

The servants began rubbing me down with oil, it smelled like daisies and buttercups. It was a over powering smell that made me want to sneeze. "Ma'am?"

"Yes Gertrude?" she asked doing her own make-up. She had the outfit of a peacock on because of the ball; it made her look like a colorful fat hen. It was considered a costume ball but also a kind of masked one; the women would have masks on with their make-up while the men simply had masks.

"Ma'am, you call me Gertrude and the master calls me Precious. What is my name?" I asked quietly.

I felt the servant's pause, before the continued their silent deity. The room seemed frozen from sound, like I had stuck my head under a vast amount of water. When she spoke, it sounded too loud to my ears. "Gertrude, if you ask another question like that I will confine you to the dark room. You're name is Gertrude, they call you Precious because that was your baby name." She sniffed going back to her make-up. "She won't be dressed in an animal outfit, Let her eyes shine and her hair down and her back covered by her hair. Those nasty scars make her look like a shriveled chick."

Her words stung me even though I knew they shouldn't. I was a slave; she could speak to me any way she felt like. It didn't matter though; it made my gut burn with anger that I never thought possible. But then I didn't have to be a slave anymore did I? I could always- no that was impossible. The Seer was all knowing, all seeing. If he was willing to help one slave girl it had to be a trick, he had more important things to do. On top of that I went to seek him out, if something was so important it should have been him that came to find me.

"Dose that mean you would rather her scars disappear Mistress Ruby?"

"Seer!" Instantly my head shot up into the mirror, sure enough there he stood in the doorway. The master's wife was correct, and as surprised as I was.

"Did I startle you?" he said kindly to the master's wife.

"N-no your grace, your presence is always welcome." She replied bowing though she was in a chair. It looked quite funny, but then in that brief encounter I had forgotten how well loved he was, and how royal. In our world a Seer was a special thing.

"Thank you. Now you where speaking about the girl's scars. She's a winged one correct?"

"Yes your grace."

"Has your husband found anything that will not damage her as a whole that will be rid of the... scars?"

"No your grace and we have looked everywhere."

"I have a remedy if I may assist you."

"Oh yes please, that would be most gracious of you. I know my husband would be so happy, and I too."

"Image of a slave is important, especially one as precious as her."I said nothing; I simply glared into the mirror. I didn't agree so now he's making it clear he dose not wish to help me. He looked back at me in the mirror, but he didn't show any anger; only pity. "However if I where to do this for her there is a price to be paid, a boy is coming soon. He's a gypsy boy that I want sent to my tower; he is to be my slave. Though he will be defiant at every turn I see him being an important part in my work for the future. I fear he will need some company and as will I when we need food. Her legs are strong; she can climb the tower steps. I would like it if she where to accompany me in the tower during daylight hours."

"Oh I see, I don't know if I can-"

"Of course, a Seer's wishes cannot always be answered, even if his work can save a town full of people, even, our town for example." He replied, though it sounded sincere it seemed threatening.