𝐍𝐚𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐬

I personally think naming chapters beyond the standard "1"/ "I"/"One" is an art we lose after middle school chapter books. And while I do think the minimal numbering fits certain books, I also think detailed chapter names fit others. So how do you name a chapter (and how do you know if it fits your story)?

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐧𝐚𝐦𝐞𝐬 𝐜𝐚𝐧 𝐛𝐞 𝐦𝐮𝐜𝐡 𝐥𝐨𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐫 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐛𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐤 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐞 𝐬𝐭𝐫𝐢𝐜𝐭 𝐧𝐚𝐭𝐮𝐫𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐛𝐨𝐨𝐤 𝐭𝐢𝐭𝐥𝐞𝐬
Chapter names can be a single word all the way up to a full sentence while still being manageable. They also don't have to be as catchy or marketable as a book title. This means you have tons more freedom in the name. Which is really fun.

𝐇𝐨𝐰 𝐭𝐨 𝐧𝐚𝐦𝐞 𝐚 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫
What kind of tone the chapter title evokes is important. It doesn't have to match the overall tone, but it should mirror the one within the chapter. Just like the book title, you're telling your readers what to expect. Here are some ways to find a chapter name (P.S. All the examples are made up):
• Within the text
• Ex. The sentence "The morning was awash with simple pleasures." can turn into the title "Awash with Simple Pleasures"
• Name of a side character who gets their moment in the chapter
• Ex. "About Emily"
• A question the reader and/or MC may have about their circumstances
• Ex. "What Do You Do When the World Ends?"
• A chapter's motif
• Ex. If the chapter revolves around a character getting the MC a pearl necklace, the title could be "Pearls", "A Girl's Best Friend", etc.
• An allusion
• This could really be anything. Some of the most common allusions refer to Shakespeare, mythology, old songs, famous poems, and classic literary works. Of course, you could make an allusion to something niche (or otherwise unknown) that relates directly to the story.
• Ex. "Et tu, Brute?" (referring to Shakespeare's Julius Caesar) could a title after the reveal of a betrayal
• An utterance
• Anything your MC would think or say, given the opportunity to break the 4th wall, bridges the gap between character and reader a little. It's not something they've said to anyone in the story. And it has an air of self-awareness.
• Ex. "So This is Where We Are Now", "This Wasn't Supposed to Happen"
• Foreshadowing
• Use this sparingly and carefully, but you can plant clues and things similar in nature in the title
• Ex. The chapter ends with the abrupt murder of a character using a coffee pot that was previously inconspicuous. The title is "Coffee Pot".

𝐓𝐡𝐞 "𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫" 𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐝 𝐨𝐟 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 (𝐀𝐊𝐀 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐭)
There are two main ways to split up a novel. The chapter and the part. Chapters are usually a given and can work concurrently with the story also being split into parts. If you read The Hunger Games, among many others, you've seen this in practice.
The parts of a novel are usually in 3s. This can (indirectly or inexplicitly) mark beginning/middle/end or childhood/adulthood/elderhood. Or it can mark more story-specific events, like The Hunger Games and its sequels. You mostly see this in sci-fi/fantasy novels, but they can go anywhere.
The titles of these parts are usually short and correlate with each other (similarly to how book titles in series can correlate).

Ex. "The Dawn", "The Day", "The Dusk"
Ex. "Spark", "Flame", "Wildfire"
Ex. "The Test", "The Proof", "The Job"
Ex. "4″, "16″, "25″

Where you place these divisions is up to you. It works best if it feels natural and fits in well with the pacing. You can plot your story around these parts, or add them in later. Either way, whether they work or not is going to be subjective and you might need beta readers/a critique partner to help you out

𝐈𝐬 𝐢𝐭 𝐫𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐲?
That's totally up to you and all I can really give you for an answer is my opinion. I think chapter titles are a given for stories with a comedic tone. There's an easy sense of irreverence or goofiness that comes with it when used right.
Other stories can be tricky, though. I think unless your story is super serious (like a thriller), you can effectively use chapter titling. With serious stories, it might be a bit more tricky to maintain the stricter tone with title, but it's accomplishable.
And of course, you don't have to add titling. Sometimes the minimalistic nature of "One"/"I"/"1" fits a story better than any other title could.
If you feel so inclined to title your chapters, it can add a whole new layer of mechanics to better tell and represent your story that you can experiment with. And if you don't feel inclined, don't worry about it! It's a personal choice, not something you're missing out on. And isn't that what your writing is? Your own style based on what you do and don't add?

𝐜𝐫; 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐥𝐨𝐜𝐚𝐥𝐰𝐫𝐢𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐛𝐥𝐨𝐠