𝐖𝐫𝐢𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐑𝐨𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞𝐬: 𝐎𝐩𝐩𝐨𝐬𝐢𝐭𝐞𝐬 𝐀𝐭𝐭𝐫𝐚𝐜𝐭

One of the most widespread among romantic tropes is opposites attract, and with good reason. When a couple are opposites, they're meant to be one of a few things to each other:
1. An inverse reflection of each other.
2. Compliment each other
3. Cover each other's shortcomings

In a sense, a good Opposites Attract serves to turn two incomplete people into one solid force. If they're a battle couple, they'll tend to fight very well together, often balancing force and finesse, melee and ranged, or physical and magical abilities. If the show or book has a lot of time dedicated to foils and character moments, they are more likely to be the ones that each other lean on, since their opposing characters makes them interesting to react off one another. Their roles, story arcs, and backstories tend to run opposite or parallel to one another depending on the series. If one character's arc is to mature and become more responsible, likely their partner's arc might be to learn to loosen up and have fun, learn to trust people, or to face a trauma in their past that made them so mature at a young age.

In terms of design, opposites attract partners tend to be inverse in color schemes. Light and dark hair or eyes, warm and cool color schemes, clashing or complimentary fashion styles, etc. The degree in opposition also varies. Some opposites attract look very similar with only a slight difference, indicating that something small is what set them on different paths in life but are otherwise very similar, almost as two sides of the same coin. Other couples are stark contrasts with virtually nothing in common to really emphasize their differences so that they can better make each other whole, as shown very literally through the character of Garnet in Steven Universe.

𝐁𝐮𝐭𝐜𝐡 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐅𝐞𝐦𝐦𝐞
While typically, you're mostly going to see this in femmeslash/yuri pairings, this dynamic is actually fairly universal. This divide focuses on a pairing where each couple reflects the values of masculinity and femininity. Although mostly used as lesbian terms, a femme and butch pairing can also be gay or heterosexual. A fashion-loving twink who cries during romantic movies dating a jock who likes sports and drinks beer is still an example of Femme and Butch. Heterosexual is rather obvious, but can also be inversed, with a tough, assertive woman partnered with a sweet, sensitive man, such as Calhoun and Felix in Wreck-It Ralph. A Femme and Butch pairing doesn't need to check off every box on this list of traits, but these traits tend to be common in these types of relationships.

𝐁𝐫𝐚𝐢𝐧𝐬 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐁𝐫𝐚𝐰𝐧
Also known as Jock and Nerd, this romantic dynamic prioritizes the usefulness of both intelligence and brute strength. Another variation is Book Smarts vs Street Smarts. The Brains will be good at doing research, organizing, and will tend to fight more strategically while the Brawn is primarily going to be good at fighting and likely protecting the Brains from serious harm. Princess and Bodyguard is another possible example of this dynamic, albeit a little less directly.

𝐇𝐨𝐭 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐂𝐨𝐥𝐝
Hot or Warm characters tend to be friendly, outgoing, upbeat, loudmouthed, temperamental, boisterous, and battle-ready. Cold or Cool personalities tend to be shy, calm, quiet, logical, reserved, serious, and emotionally withdrawn. However, while these extreme opposites of hot-head and cold-shoulder balance each other out, it's worth discussing same heat relationships. Kiribaku is an example of a Hot/Warm relationship, as Bakugou Katsuki is an angry little spitfire with an aggressive streak, while Kirishima Eijirou is a happy-go-lucky sweetheart with a good attitude. This is sort of the same concept, just that both boys are on the warm side of the spectrum, with Kirishima being the cooler counter to Bakugou's temperamental hot-head. This also works inversely, as the ship Tododeku is a Cold/Cool relationship. Midoriya is a shy, but upbeat young man who tends not to draw too much attention to himself, while Todoroki is stoic, logical, and a bit dense socially. In this case, Midoriya is Cool while Todoriki is Cold, with Midoriya serving as the "Hot" aspect of their relationship as the more friendly and outgoing of the two.