𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐫𝐚𝐜𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐁𝐮𝐢𝐥𝐝𝐢𝐧𝐠: 𝐒𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐇𝐚𝐭

So recently on my main channel, I started breaking down different kinds of people you'd find in the four houses of Hogwarts when it dawned on me that this could be a useful character building exercise. So, I'm going to lay out all 48 archetypes that I named and show how this can be used to outline a character.

My method for sorting characters is to lay out all of the archetypes I've found in the Hogwarts Houses, and then compare to the traits of my characters and use a score sheet to determine the best sorting for a character. I've already made a score card here. Luckily, all four have been given the same number of archetypes, and now it's time to meet the archetypes.

 Luckily, all four have been given the same number of archetypes, and now it's time to meet the archetypes

𝐆𝐫𝐲𝐟𝐟𝐢𝐧𝐝𝐨𝐫

The Jock: Bold, confident, adventurous, and boasting a strong quidditch team, it's no surprise that Gryffindor is viewed as the Jock clique of the four houses. The house values of determination and relentlessness makes for quality athletes. The stereotype of the brainless jock also persists, as Gryffindor is the house most likely to be considered less than impressive in the academic sphere. Jocks also tend to form close-knit bonds with others like them, just as lions move in prides, and Gryffindors tend to behave similarly, preferring to stick with large friend circles of their own kind. This archetype could just as easily be dubbed "The Frat Guy", but Jock is more gender-inclusive.

The Brat: Time to rip the bandage off. Gryffindor is spoiled and pampered. Between the text itself and the author who wrote it, the general opinions of the fanbase, and the clear bias of the school staff, Gryffindor is painted as the best and favorite house. It hogs most of the spotlight, and there's even a general consensus that the other houses are all inferior to golden favorite Gryffindor. This sense of self-importance, entitlement, and blatant unfair favoritism can give Gryffindors an unpleasant and arrogant ego. This can lead them to breaking rules, bullying, and belittling other houses due to this innate sense of superiority and impunity.

The Coward: Counter-intuitive as it might seem, cowards actually fit in nicely with Gryffindor. After all, bravery is not the absence of fear, but the willingness to rise above it. The story even frames this as the most noble kind of Gryffindor. Those who act in spite of their fears. Many of the major Gryffindor characters could easily have been in other houses, but instead chose to be brave.

The Champion: When Gryffindor is flavored with Hufflepuff, they can become a champion, someone who fights in the place of others. Someone who fights for those who cannot protect themselves. The Champion can also champion against something, such as fighting against inequality, tyranny, or corruption. They can even fight on their own behalf. This is simply an archetype not afraid to raise a fuss, call people out, and issue a challenge.

The Explorer: The Ravenclaw among Gryffindors, the Explorer is constantly seeking out new things. New places, new friends, new experiences. These are the Gryfindors who fear boredom or getting stale. Life is an adventure, and there's no point living the same day twice. Even a bad experience is a chance to learn, grow, and explore something that they didn't know before.