𝖪𝗂𝗌𝗌 𝖲𝖼𝖾𝗇𝖾𝗌

|| 1 || Detail. Remember that describing a kiss means including more detail than just what is happening and when. Be sure to include description of how the protagonist's five senses are being affected, as well as some other elements such as:
✎ What the protagonist smells
✎ What the protagonist tastes
✎ What the protagonist hears
✎ What the protagonist sees
✎ The inner monologue of the protagonist, if the point of view in your story allows it.

|| 2 || Make the kiss(es) realistic. Situational details are a key factor in making the scene more satisfying and memorable. Pay attention to details like the character's physical characteristics, such as glasses, braces, messy hair, etc. and incorporate those tiny details into the scene.

She turned her head to the left, leaning in to brush her lips against her partner's, but was interrupted when their noses bumped together, making them both giggle, and the awkwardness fade away.

I mean, sure, that's not the best example, but at least it's better than:

Their lips collided, and they made out flawlessly, as if they were in a Nicholas Sparks novel.

Little details like bumping noses, giggling, grinning like an idiot, stumbling, hesitating, etc. can make the scene so much better.

|| 3 || It doesn't always have to be a full on make out session every time two characters kiss. A lot of the time, kisses are short and sweet and that can be enough to send a substantial spark to the fingers and toes, and send the reader out smiling. Pecks, if only on the cheek, can be more than enough and are extremely underrated.

|| 4 || Pay attention to what your characters do with the rest of their bodies. Kissing is in no way just about the mouth. Keep in mind that most of the time, people don't just lean forward and mush their faces together. Grab the face, caress the lower back, hold their hand, hell, sweep them off their feet and carry them into the sunset! Don't just stand there!

|| 5 || VOCABULARY. Using the right wordage can improve your kiss scene-no, scratch that- ANY SCENE a million times better.

|| 6 || Read kiss scenes as a writer would. Read kiss scenes that you've enjoyed and nitpick them to find what you do and don't like about them, adding the good things to your own scene and being wary of the bad.

And now, here are some extra tips to get you going:
✎ Practice - If you're in a relationship or have a really great friend {;)}, practice the act and take notes on how it actually feels! A lot of people who read these kiss scenes take it as the reality because some have never kissed anyone, so teach them how it's done!
✎ Know your characters - Would they actually bite their partner's lip like that? Would they actually go as far as caressing the majestical inner thigh? Think about it.
✎ Add elements of the setting - Are your characters standing in the middle of a crowd? In a high school hallway? Elevator? Include details like sounds and smells and lighting to give the reader a more full-sensory experience.
✎ Dialogue can be fun to play with - Kissing doesn't always have to be silent. Maybe they break for a second to say "You're so beautiful" or "Did you pop a mint when I wasn't looking, oh sneaky one?". Include those little mutterings or comments because they are some of the best parts.
✎ Have someone you trust read it - If you've got a good friend who will be honest, have them read and suggest edits. Google docs is fantastic for having your friends read and help you edit your work, because you can change the setting to "suggest edits" and you can see everything they've suggested without permanently altering the scene.

𝖼𝗋: wordsnstuff