𝖥𝖺𝗇𝗍𝖺𝗌𝗍𝗂𝖼 𝖡𝖾𝖺𝗌𝗍𝗌 𝖠𝗇𝖽 𝖧𝗈𝗐𝖳𝗈 𝖶𝗋𝗂𝗍𝖾 𝖳𝗁𝖾𝗆 (𝖨𝖨𝖨)

❖ 𝗔𝗻𝗴𝗲𝗹 𝗛𝗶𝘀𝘁𝗼𝗿𝘆
Okay, so what the everloving fuck is up with all of the angel books that I'm reading??? Like seriously, when did angels go from this

❖ 𝗔𝗻𝗴𝗲𝗹 𝗛𝗶𝘀𝘁𝗼𝗿𝘆 Okay, so what the everloving fuck is up with all of the angel books that I'm reading??? Like seriously, when did angels go from this

to this????

And the problem just seems to be in books

The majority of books I read about angels features a fallen angel or an angel that's basically described as a just being 280 lbs. of angelic beefcake. Nothing else. No personality. Just beefcake.
I just find it weird that things like Supernatural and Constantine, etc. have no problem accurately representing angels, and yet most of the angel books that come up on my Goodreads recommendations list are sappy love stories.
Like??? Hello????? I want to see some angel badassness and not a dramatic love interest for a Mary Sue/ Gary Stu of a protagonist.
So sit back, get a snack, and buckle up, because here is

A "B R I E F" HISTORY OF ANGELS FOR THOSE WHO THINK THEY NEED IT AND ESPECIALLY FOR THOSE WHO DON'T
Okay, so I'm going to start by saying that angels are in most, if not all monotheistic religions that feature capital 'G' God. They're not just reserved for Christianity.
From Islam to Judaism to Christianity, there is at least a brief mentioning of angels in every one of their religious texts.

The major conflict when it comes to angels in different religions seems to be "which angels are Archangels?"

So, if you don't know what an Archangel is, I'm gonna tell u now.
Archangels are basically the head honchos of angels, and they're pretty badass.
I'll go into them later when I'm actually into the history.
So basically, different religions have different Archangels, or at least, they recognize different Archangels.
(Note: Please correct me if my research is wrong! I do not mean to offend ANYONE at all, so please tell me as soon as possible if there are any errors)

✎ 𝗜𝘀𝗹𝗮𝗺
- Jibra'il  (Gabriel)
- Israfil (Raphael)
- Izra'il (Azrael)
- Mikail (Michael)
✎ 𝗝𝘂𝗱𝗮𝗶𝘀𝗺
- Michael
- Gabriel
- Uriel
- Raphael
✎ 𝗥𝗼𝗺𝗮𝗻 𝗰𝗮𝘁𝗵𝗼𝗹𝗶𝗰𝗶𝘀𝗺
- Gabriel
- Michael
- Raphael
- Sometimes Uriel but I get mixed reviews from everything so I'm just putting a question mark (?)
✎ 𝗘𝗮𝘀𝘁𝗲𝗿𝗻 𝗼𝗿𝘁𝗵𝗼𝗱𝗼𝘅
- Michael
- Gabriel
- Raphael
- Uriel
- Barachiel
- Saeltiel (sometimes Selaphiel)
- Jegudiel (sometimes Jehudiel)
✎ 𝗣𝗿𝗼𝘁𝗲𝘀𝘁𝗮𝗻𝘁
There are different kinds of Protestant and if I included them all we'd be here for a week, so I'm just going to say that most, if not all Protestants believe in at least ONE Archangel
- Michael
- And a lot believe in Gabriel as well

Okay, so you guys are probably seeing a trend here.
"Whoa, Maddy!" you cry, throwing yourself upon the fainting couch.  "Both Michael and Gabriel are in all of the lists!"
"I know," I reply.
"But what makes them so special?" you beg. "I must know!"
Chill. I'm getting to that.
So, before you get to know the Archangels, you first must know their history. There are many, many versions of this story, so I'm not going to write them all down.
I'm going to tell you is what I learned in Religious Ed, so therefore what you're hearing is the Catholic version of this. I'll try to make it more entertaining than how Mrs. Berry taught me.

Okay, so it starts off in Heaven, where God just Created The Universe™. It's gonna be a long time before those bitches Adam and Eve show up, and so He's just chillin up wherever He chills. And suddenly He gets this great idea and creates this Archangel.
Now, in different versions this angel is Michael, but like I said, I'm telling you the version that I learned.
So as I was saying, He created this Archangel, and guess what his name is?
LUCIFER!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!
Now, I know what you're thinking: OH NO, LUCIFER CAN'T BE AN ARCHANGEL????

 So as I was saying, He created this Archangel, and guess what his name is?LUCIFER!!!! YAY!!!!!!!! Now, I know what you're thinking: OH NO, LUCIFER CAN'T BE AN ARCHANGEL????

In fact, in a lot of versions, he was said to be God's favorite, at least in the beginning.
He was described as being the most powerful and beautiful of all of the angels that God ever created, and naturally, God put him In Charge ™ .
So God's like "Hey I'm pretty good at this I should make more of these little winged creatures"
And so next He creates

✎ 𝗚𝗮𝗯𝗿𝗶𝗲𝗹
(Who's been portrayed as a guy and a girl on various occasions, even in religious texts)
Gabriel is the messenger. He's the one who came to Mary for the Annunciation as well as to Muhammad in the First Revelation.

✎ 𝗥𝗮𝗽𝗵𝗮𝗲𝗹
Raphael is the healer and is into like medicine and knowledge and music and literature so basically hes like a total nerd no joke.
✎ 𝗠𝗶𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗲𝗹 (Sometimes the last is Lucifer, but obviously not in this version)
So he's like the little bro, and everyone thinks he's smol and lovey but he's like "looks like a cinnamon roll but could actually kill you". This Archangel is also a saint (and I'm pretty sure Raphael is too). So he protects humanity from the forces of evil and also defeats Satan but that's not relevant right now. He is one of the most important Archangels in religions that believe in God.

Okay so these bros are chillin and being bros.
And so to put things short, Lucifer had like a huge ego. That was his one flaw. (Fun fact: this is the reason why people say pride is the root of all sin).
He thought he was better than everyone, and like I'm not saying he wasn't a solid 10, but it kinda lowers your attractiveness if you rub it in everyone's faces.
And so while God's creating all of these other littler angels, who aren't as great as Archangels but are still pretty cool, Lucifer begins brooding and wondering why he isn't the cosmic ruler.
He was like "hey???? I'm like?? 10/10??? and this guy??? Is telling me what?? to??? do????"
And so he begins to rally 1/3 of Heaven (bc at this point there are like A TON of angels
And so now all of his little bros are gettin a bit worried.
Like "Is You okay??"
And so naturally Lucifer is Not Okay ™
Basically the Book of Revelations tells us that none of the Archangels were fit to fight Lucifer (but why I don't understand that really) so naturally it has to be the youngest, Michael, that has to fight him, because everyone likes a good underdog story, even ancient Christians/Muslims/Jews.
And so this whole fight goes down in something called the War in Heaven, where it's 1/3 of regular angels and Lucifer versus 2/3 of regular angels and Michael (and the other Archangels sort of help but seriously they were dicks for not teaming up with their lil bro).
Now, you think there would be no contest, but Lucifer is like crazy powerful, even compared to Michael, and he has a lot of angels on his side even though Michael has most of them.
And so this whole angelic smackdown ensues and by the end, Lucifer is bound in chains and tossed into Hell. He'd like turned into a huge nine-headed dragon during the fight, so it was kind of hard to do that, but Michael managed.
So yeah, that's their history, and I don't understand why writers, unless they don't research at all, see this and think "Oh I'm just going disregard this and write my angel character as one-dimensional and make it all about their looks and their wings and include no background information about their kind."
And I'm not saying that you should follow this story word for word, but PLEASE GIVE YOUR ANGEL CHARACTERS SOME DIMENSION PEOPLE!!!!