Chapter 20~Leaving Mena

5 more chapters left of Solstice!

~~~Mena~~~

   When I woke up the following morning, I laid in bed smiling up at the ceiling. Mando had carried me to my bed last night and the thought of it just melted my heart. It was so sweet on his part to do so. As I sat up and looked around the room, I realized Mando was nowhere to be seen and neither were his things. 

   Strange. Maybe he had slept on the ship. Still, something felt strange. There was a weird pit in my stomach that I couldn't shake off. Something was definitely off. 

   Deciding to figure out what was causing the strange feeling, I hurried out of bed and outside where I found Mando loading supplies onto the ship. A few villagers had gathered around to watch him, including Rylla who had a very worrisome look on her face when she saw me. As I approached, I saw her swallow hard and advert her eyes to the ground.

   What was going on?

   "Are we leaving already?" I asked Mando, who hadn't even stopped what he was doing to acknowledge my presence. Mando didn't reply, he just walked past me and onto the ship with another box of supplies. He must have been planning a very long trip with all the supplies he was taking. I knew he had two mouths to feed now, but I didn't eat that much.

   "Maybe you should wait until he's done," Rylla said, her eyebrows furrowed in concern. Something about the look on her face only dug deeper into the growing pit in my stomach. Seriously, if it kept growing, The Boring Company would have to run for their money and Elon Musk would have to install me underneath L.A.

   "Mando, why didn't you tell me we were leaving today?" I said, stepping in his way so he couldn't ignore me. I looked down at his armor, it had been completely repaired. He must have spent all night working on it.

   "We're not," he said.

   "What do you mean?"

   "I'm leaving. You're staying here," he walked past me again to load his final supply box.

   "Oh," I said, surprised. This was a bit sudden on his part, but I just assumed he needed to get back to his job or something. Maybe he needed to return the credits to his Guild. "When will you be back?"

   Mando placed the box onto the ship and looked down at it. He wouldn't look at me and a feeling of sickness washed over me. The last time he wouldn't look at me was when he gave me up, so what was so bad now that he couldn't get himself to look at me.

   "I'm not coming back, Mena," Mando finally said. I looked at him in confusion. I had heard what he had said, but it was as if his words just weren't computing in my head. What he had said wasn't making sense to me. 

   "What do you mean you're not coming back?" I said.

   "We can't... I can't take you with me."

   "You're leaving me here?" I said, my voice rising as his words finally made sense to me.

   "I have to," Mando said.

   "Really?" I laughed. "I don't remember there being a rule book on this. I don't see someone holding a blaster up to your head making you do this."

   "Listen-"

   "No, you listen Mandalorian," I said, walking up to him. I knew the villagers were watching, but I didn't care. He couldn't do this. "Look at me," I said, watching him slowly lift his head up. "I don't care what's running through your head right now. All I know is that you came back for me and convinced me to trust that you wouldn't give me up again. I trust you. You're not allowed to give me up again. You're not allowed to leave me."