6.

The truth was that what Shay didn't know couldn't hurt her. But what Dacre knew was killing him.

He couldn't tell Jack, Jack would just tell Grace, and Grace would just tell Jen. And that was something he didn't need.

Dacre jumped out of his truck, grabbing the two Chicken Salad Chick bags from the passenger side. He decided to surprise Shay at work with lunch. Today was the first day that David had been allowed to return to school, so his day was clear. Plus, he thought he could help ease himself off of the ledge he had been on by bringing her lunch and spending the day with her.

He walked into the salon, and he could instantly feel all eyes on him. All of Shay's coworkers all began to yell and hoot as he walked to Shay's station.

"Now that is a man, Shayla!"

"Shayla you didn't tell us he was this cute!"

"Or so toned!"

"Guys stop it." Shay gushes as Dacre sets the food down on the counter and gives her a hug. "You're embarrassing me."

"If you're so embarrassed about him, we will definitely take him." An older lady with blonde hair walks over to greet him. "I'm Nisha. The only polite woman in her it seems." She adds.

"I'm Dacre. Nice to meet you Miss Nisha." Dacre takes her hand and gives it a kiss.

"Hmm.. and what a gentleman." She speculates, eyeing Shay.

"Don't you do it." Shay shakes he head but it was too late.

"So, Dacre, I've known Shayla for a pretty long time now, can you tell me what your intentions are with my niece?" She asks, looking suggestively between the two.

"Oh.." Dacre gasps, not expecting the family ties. Family members. That's what he got himself into today.

"Auntie Nisha!" Shay exclaims. "Dacre, you don't have to answer that."

He regroups himself, clearing this throat before answering, "I plan to treat your beautiful niece with as much love and respect as I can. Hopefully this is something we make long term, right?" Shay smiles, nodding her head.

"Bet you weren't expecting such a good answer, huh Auntie?" Shay mocks.

"I didn't expect to hear anything less." She pats Dacre on the arm before returning to her chair. "He may be a good man after all."

"Will you everyone just leave him alone?" Shay laughs. "And will you stop encouraging them?" She pokes Dacre on his side.

"I can't help it. But I know for a fact that they'll love this." Dacre leans in, kissing her on the lips. He was right, as the shop erupted into "aww's" and hoots.

Shay smalls talks with him as the rest of the salon women come to greet him separately. They all praise Shay on Dacre's looks and on "finding a good white man." Too bad he was just a normal cheating white guy with a shitty past. But what they didn't know wouldn't hurt them.

He really needed to stop using that phrase.

"Hey Shay, I gotta piss. Bathroom?" He looks to the back of the shop.

"Yeah, to the left." She points.

He can hear the buzz of the ladies still talking behind him as he walks to the bathroom. He swiftly does his business before washing his hands and returning back to Shay.

When he comes out of the bathroom, Shay is excitedly talking to girl, who he assumes is a client, and he makes his way over. It's not until then that Dacre gets a good look at the girl standing across from Shay, and he freezes.