IV: The Start of the Great Depression

Friday 17th January 1930
Ajax, Toronto, Canada
NARRATOR'S POV

It has been two months and twenty days since the stock market crashed, we're slowly but surely getting by whilst all of this financial trouble is still going on. Stephen, who has recently turned eight is still being home schooled because his elementary school is still not in use, neither is any of the junior high or high-schools all across the country, it is a shame that he can't go to school as normal because of the selfish individual we have in power, who won't bother helping any of his citizens in all ten provinces. I think he (Stephen) is starting to feel rather bored because he has been stuck inside the house for the past two months, but as I have explained before there is no other option in terms of his education, but I don't like the idea of him quitting his whole education career and going to find work in heinous places, such as factories like a lot of children around his age are now needing to do to help their family, because of the strenuous situation that the crash has brought upon us all, and I don't think he likes this particular idea either - needing to seek out employers at only eight years old! But of course we will try and stop that from happening. Although, that being said what would the government say? Would they start to question the parenting or the values that some are giving their children, and trying to boycott the idea of child labour - which is literally what a lot of children have already done in order to help their parents/siblings because they aren't getting the education that they need to thrive, because of this stupid economic crash. If we have to home school Stephen for the remainder of his elementary years (Grade 3 - Grade 6), then what do we do once he reaches Grade 6 and goes onto the junior high level? Do we still continue teaching him all the way through his high school years (Grade 10 - Grade 12)? By that time, he would be between the ages of 15-18, so this is in the near future obviously, so between the years of 1936 and 1939. But, I guess we'll worry about all of that when the time comes and until then we'll try and get through the last three years of his elementary level education, before moving onto the more difficult junior high and high school levels.