XVI: Drown

Tuesday 10th July 1956
Ajax, Toronto, Canada
NARRATOR'S POV

James and Christopher are now in junior high, they are both 12 years old and little Stephanie is 3 years old. The twins will be doing a presentation on the 16th anniversary of the Battle of Britain which of course their Dad took part in when he was 18, they will also be mentioning Deryck, Dave, Jay, Frank and Tom's contributions in the Battle of Vimy Ridge which took place in Nord-Pas-de-Calais, 39 years ago in April. They will be bringing Stephen's medals (Victoria Cross, Cross of Valour, Order of Ontario, Medal of Bravery and Medal of Sacrifice) and Deryck's medals (Victoria Cross, Medal of Bravery and Medal of Sacrifice) along with their officer caps which they wore in the battles that they fought. As well as their teachers and classmates, we will all be there supporting them as they give their presentation, the boys will be starting with the Battle of Vimy Ridge since they're going in chronological order and will go over how Deryck enlisted and served in the Canadian Corps in the Battle of Vimy Ridge, how he got his war afflictions (shell shock and sensorineural hearing loss) and how it has affected him since then, the award ceremony where the boys all got their medals, and then the twins will go onto their Dad's escapades in England and South Korea, and his unfortunate death four years ago. After the boys spoke about the battles, they then proceeded to show everyone the medals that were awarded to Stephen and Deryck for their participation in their respective battles, the twins then started to explain which medal represented.

"The Victoria Cross is awarded for the most conspicuous bravery, or some daring pre-eminent act of valour or self sacrifice, or extreme devotion to duty in the presence of the enemy" James explains in detail, he then let's his brother go on to talk about the Medal of Bravery:

"The Medal of Bravery is awarded for acts of bravery in hazardous circumstances"

"The Medal of Sacrifice is awarded to both members of the Canadian Forces and civilians, who have died or have been wounded under honourable circumstances in the line of service"

"The Cross of Valour is awarded for acts of the most conspicuous courage in the circumstances of extreme peril"

"The Order of Ontario is awarded for demonstrations of excellence in any field or outstanding contributions to society in Ontario and elsewhere".