VI: King of the Clouds

Wednesday 3rd July 1940
Ajax, Toronto, Canada
STEPHEN'S POV

Today, I'll be leaving home to go over to London, England to prepare for the Battle of Britain which is happening in a week, so of course I'm needing to leave my Mum and Dad and my uncles (Jay, Dave, Frank and Tom). I can't wait to go over to England and try and fight this war, but obviously the idea of leaving home for the first time is frightening for all of us as well. I really hope we can defeat the Germans, and maybe (if I survive) I could be awarded for my bravery. The ship that will be taking me to England is the HMCS St. Laurent, which will be arriving later on in the day. I will be taking the train down to the docks, and it is a forty-five minute journey so it shouldn't take too long, I mean it's only seven stops to Union Station near the docks. I'll be going from Ajax GO, to Pickering, to Rouge Hill, to Guildwood, to Eglinton GO, to Scarborough, to Danforth, and then finally, Union Station at QCYC Docks at Lake Ontario, where HMCS St. Laurent will be waiting on me and many others to be taken from Ajax to London, England. The cost of my train ticket from Ajax to Union Street is C$10.20 and plus the cost of my ticket for the ship is C$77.94, so that is C$88.14 altogether!. After the long train journey, I have finally made it to the docks where the St. Laurent is waiting in Lake Ontario to take myself and many others who have signed up to join in the fight with the RCAF to our forthcoming battle destination. I'm looking forward to visiting this 'new' London, because the only London I have been to is London, Ontario here at home so it'll be exciting to see how different it is to the one we have here in Canada, I'd actually want to go sightseeing at some point but I probably wouldn't have time, because we are at the start of this war and I have an impending battle to prepare for which is in seven days time. I hope the voyage won't take long, because if I miss the first day of battle then I'd either be told off by one of my superior officers or I'd obviously miss my opportunity to fight for King and country, which I know I wouldn't be happy about. A week later, I have finally made it to London, England and the St. Laurent has entered the River Thames, once I have disembarked the ship I will have to find the nearest headquarters of the RAF and hand in my enlistment form to one of the superior officers, I've had to keep ahold of this form for the past ten months since I signed up to the Air Force, another thing I have to show the officer is my identity card which I got a few days after I received my letter of recruitment. The layout of the card is my name, rank, age, height, hair colour, eye colour, if I have any marks or scars, my signature, the date, the card number and finally, a picture of myself in my uniform which is, in my eyes not that great.

ROYAL CANADIAN AIR FORCE

Name:    WHIBLEY, STEPHEN-PAUL

Rank:     CAPTAIN

Age:      18

Height:    5"4.5'

Hair:    LIGHT BROWN

Eyes:   BROWN

Marks, scars, etc:    NONE

(Signature of holder):    S. WHIBLEY

Place:    R.C.A.F. STATION

Date:    JUL 10, 1940

Card serial number:   419613.

After handing over my enlistment form and my identity card, I get informed that I've to meet up with my crew out on the runway because all of us pilots are to go over the basic safety procedures for when we're in flight and what we've to do if our plane (a Avro Anson MkII) gets shot down by one of Göring's Messerschmitt Bf-109's and then we'll finally take to the skies and join our Allied counterparts, Britain, France, the US, the USSR, and Australia amongst others. If you're wondering how I've got the rank of Captain and how I can all of a sudden fly planes, it's because I got taught how to fly the aircraft during the flight training when I was in the Air Cadets, and of course I've moved up ranks to get to the stage where I am now, I am still only a junior officer though so there's nothing really that interesting that I have to do other than fly the plane that I have been given, give whatever orders or directions that my crew are needing and I will be in charge of the entire crew of my plane once we take to the skies. Within a few hours, I'll be up thousands of feet above ground and sea level shooting at the hundreds of thousands Germans defending King George VI and my homeland, which I can't wait for! Although, don't think that I'm all of a sudden fearless because I'm actually quite worried about not completing this impending mission, because I'm afraid that I may get killed in action (ie, my plane being shot down by the opposing Luftwaffe or my plane crashing upon impact) but for the most part I am looking forward to it, I wonder how long this battle will last? Not that I'm saying that I don't want to be here or I want it to be over before it even starts, but I want to know precisely how long I have to be here until I can make it back home to Canada.

Heaven knows that I'm born too late for these ghosts that I chase
With these dreams, I inflate, painted skies in my brain
Every day, I'm Carl Sagan in space
To escape this old world, this old world

Some days I lie wide awake 'til the Sun hits my face
And I fade, elevate from the Earth
Far away to a place where I'm free from the weight
This old world, this old world

I don't trust anything
Or anyone, below the Sun
And I don't feel anything
At all

I'm King of the clouds, of the clouds
I get lifted, I get lifted
King of the clouds, of the clouds
I get lifted, I get lifted

Some only live to die, I'm alive to fly higher
Than angels in outfields inside of my mind
I'm ascending these ladders, I'm climbin', say goodbye
This old world, this old world

And when I fall to rise with stardust in my eyes
In the backbone of night, I'm combustible
Dust in the fire when I can't sleep a wink, I'm too tired
This old world, this old world

I don't trust anything
Or anyone, below the Sun
And I don't feel anything
At all

I'm King of the clouds, of the clouds
I get lifted, I get lifted
King of the clouds, of the clouds
I get lifted, I get lifted
Imagination, take me somewhere I don't know
I'm lost but I better find it alone
King of the clouds, of the clouds
I get lifted, I get lifted

I keep searching
Oh, I keep searching
I keep searching

————————————————————
All rights go to: Panic! At the Disco
Written by: Brendon Urie
————————————————————