Chapter 5

The three weeks leading up to the Royal Family of Denmark's arrival went by quickly for both Hal and Catherine. Hal was anxious to see his new nephew and sister, while Catherine was happy to have something to organize so she wouldn't have to think about Hal. Not only did she have to organize the upcoming party, but also prepared for and welcomed the arrival of her newly chosen ladies in waiting at the palace. Being that there was always something to attend to, she had altogether stopped her breakfasts with Hal and avoided his presence throughout the rest of the day. She could have delegated many of the tasks and planning to her handmaids and ladies but knew she needed to keep her distance from the King after their last interaction.  

Throughout the weeks, Catherine started receiving replies to her invitations from the most important allies throughout the land, the high-ranking officials, and military generals. They would all be able to attend the 3-day celebration of her and the king's union. Unfortunately, Lord and Lady Finick had made the guest list and accepted the invitation. 

Catherine, her ladies, and handmaids were all sitting in the drawing-room one sunny afternoon practicing needlepoint and conversing when a letter arrived from Lady Finick. 

Catherine read it silently.

"We couldn't be more honored to attend this celebration of your marriage. I did so regret not being chosen to be one of your ladies but am thrilled at the prospect of being in the presence of you and your kingship again..."

Catherine huffed and folded the letter without reading the rest of it. 

Seeing Catherine's reaction, Clara, the blonde and shy lady in waiting, softly asked Catherine, "Your majesty, I hope that that letter did not contain bad news?"

Catherine smiled at her thoughtful new friend, "Another family announced they will be attending our celebration."

Confused, Clara ventured, "Which family?"

"The Finicks." Answered Catherine which caused the other woman in the room to look up from their needlepoint and exchange glances. "What of Lady Finick and the King's previous engagement do you ladies know?"

Georgina, the lady with dark hair and eyes who always knew the town gossip, chimed in, "Mary and the King were engaged for many years, her family always wanted her to marry into the throne at any cost. When King Henry was..." she paused trying to say this without insulting the King, "no longer a suitable option... they had tried pushing Mary onto his young brother Prince Thomas. And then back onto King Henry once young Thomas was killed! They are social climbers, to say the least, so when Lord Finick made a proposal they saw it as their next best option to the throne." 

Catherine listened intently, "And what of her, Mary's, character?" 

"My Queen," started Rebecca, another intelligent lady with bright red hair that matched her personality, "Mary may have been desperately in love with the King, but she was more in love with the power that would come from such a union. She is not nearly half as beautiful as you nor did the King ever see her as more than an arranged relationship. Trust me, we see the way he looks at you and you have nothing to worry about."

Catherine blushed and looked away, she wanted to reprimand Rebecca for assuming that she was worried but admired her honesty as it reminded her of her father. "I ask only to be aware of the allies of my new kingdom." she finally replied, putting the conversation to rest.

----------------------------------

 As the weeks wore on and the party planning was finishing up, it was getting harder to avoid Hal. One night Hal came home late from a long day with his advisors while Catherine was in the dining hall with her handmaids and ladies deciding on decorations for the upcoming party.