Chapter 14

Catherine woke up in Hal's bed the next afternoon. He was propped up on pillows beside her, he couldn't lay flat last night due to his injuries. She removed her arm from where it had lain, across his bare stomach and reached up to touch the scar on his cheek. He awoke to this and looked down at her and smile with such genuine happiness that she couldn't help but smile as well. He put his hand softly on the bandage on her neck, and she put her hand on top of his with a smile. He grabbed her other hand and examined them both in his.

"What are you thinking?" Catherine asked, her voice raspy from sleep.

"Can you believe we have been married for 8 months?" He gave her a small smile as he rubbed his thumb over her wedding ring.

"I can't decide if it feels like it's been longer or shorter than that. Can it seem both at the same time?"

"Well much has happened since we've been married," he gave a soft chuckle before he said, "not to mention how we rang in the new year with a failed siege on the palace."

Catherine sat up so she was face to face with Hal, she fought a smile, "How could you laugh at such a thing! It was awful and could have been so much worse."

"Because, my dear, I never would have imagined that after such an awful day that I would have woken up to you the next. If I could expect you as a companion to wake up next to every time I fought a battle, I would fight every day."

Catherine rolled her eyes and was about to push but stopped herself, "I thought we agreed last night to STOP risking our lives unnecessarily."

"That we did. A king, unfortunately, finds he needs to act on necessity more often than he would like."

"Don't say that. England and France can have peace as long as we are ruling it," Catherine said with pleading eyes. Hal looked at her and brought a hand to her cheek.

"I will do everything I can to maintain peace before turning to war and violence. But... there have been reports that have been troubling me." Hal started.

"Reports of what nature?" Catherine asked concerned.

"My uncle, Thomas Beaufort, who is currently stationed as the Duke of Exeter back in Paris, has been sending letters of rising tensions among the French troops against the capital. He fears an imminent attack, which would be in breach of the Treaty your Father and I agreed on." Hal hated having to bring up this topic with Catherine, as he knew where her loyalties lie. But he trusted her and had to show it if he were to ever expect it from her.

"My father wouldn't be organizing something like this Hal, you must believe me. Last time I saw him, he seemed hardly able to organize his own daily routine. He didn't want to risk any more French lives resisting the English forces, he wouldn't change his mind on something like this so quickly."

"I believe you, Catherine. It may be possible that because your Father is in such a...state... there are other French leaders taking advantage and pushing forward their own wishes."

Catherine thought about this, there were many French advisors and military leaders that were not happy with her Father's decision to surrender to England only 8 months ago. But would they truly manipulate her Father to such a means?

"Please Hal, before you make any decisions, let me write to my Father and a few of my friends to ascertain what is truly going on in France?"

Hal hesitated a moment but then looked in her eyes, "I will wait to make any decisions. But Catherine, understand that if French forces take action against the capital, we will be forced to retaliate."

Catherine looked down, how could she have been so happy a few minutes ago, and feel so distraught now?

"I understand. Maybe I can influence them to stop their forces... if the claims are well-founded that is."

Hal saw the sadness in her eyes and pointed her chin up so she had to look at him, "If anyone can resolve this before it gets worse, it's you." She gave him a sad smile. "I'd stay here forever with you if I could, but I do have to start getting ready for my day."

"But Hal, you can barely walk, shouldn't you recover longer?"

"I need to deal with the mob that caused a riot."

"You will keep your word to the family, won't you? You will make sure they are forgiven and cared for?"

"Yes, but to that family only. The rest must stand trial, we can't have our subjects thinking that they can storm the palace to attack us."

"But it will be a fair trial, Hal? Don't let them be killed for their mistakes, please all these families are grieving and have been affected by the war. If you have them executed, surely it will only cause more unrest and anger from the people toward you...and me."

Hal was silent for a few moments before he finally spoke, "How can you be so forgiving of people who threatened your life?"

"I try to understand them," she reached her hand back to his face, "you should too."

He smiled at her, love written clearly on his face. "Yes, my Queen. Except.." with a sly smile on his face.

"Except?"

"Except, I suppose you aren't technically Queen yet." Catherine looked at him with confusion. "You have not officially been coronated! When should you like to have the ceremony to make it official?"

Catherine thought a moment, "Let me write to my Father and sources in France. I will ascertain what I can and also give them an opportunity to attend my coronation. If there is talk of a revolt against the capital, my coronation may help ease the tensions and present a united front of our two countries, we should make sure to use it to its full advantage."

Hal smiled and with pain, leaned closer to her face and kissed her softly on the lips, "My wise wife. Everything shall be done as you said. Now would you mind helping me get ready for my day?"

Catherine smiled and put her hand on Hal's chest, "Are you sure you don't have a few more minutes?"

Hal smiled back, put his hand behind her head, and pulled her lips to his, "I suppose, what do you have in mind?"