Chapter 23

The first few days of March following the coronation were spent with parties, dances, and dinners celebrating the new Queen of England. Despite Catherine's many invitations to various members of the royal and military families, no one from France was in attendance for the coronation or the festivities that followed.

Catherine was already in bed one night and almost asleep when Hal entered, the smell of wine and smoke on him.

"Catherine, you're in bed already? The rest of the ladies are still up and talking in the drawing-room-" he looked her over, "do you feel alright?"

Catherine had spent the last hour throwing up, and was sure she looked it, "All the ladies were either complimenting me, discussing children or discussing the mobs and attacks from last month, I was ready to retire and be rid of such conversation."

"Not even my sister's presence could help you bear it?" Hal asked sympathetically.

At the mention of Philippa, Catherine worried that she had spilled her secret to the King, she surveyed Hal and decided he did not know her secret. "Your sister and my ladies in waiting do help me deal with any social interactions that I loathe, but a week of this is too much for anyone to bear. Except for you, it seems." Catherine had been thankful that Hal had spent long nights with their male visitors the past week so that he wasn't aware of how much she had been sick.

"I confess, this week has been a nice reprieve of responsibilities and worries. Spending days hunting, every evening after dinner I get to dance with my wife," he moved over to her and kissed her forehead, "and then the nights drinking with the men."

"You know you don't need a party to be able to dance with me," Catherine said with a small smile.

"Is that so, Catherine? You seem to hate dancing- you hardly dance with any of the many partners who ask you!"

Catherine did love dancing but had been feeling so nauseous lately that she could usually only handle the first dance with Hal before excusing herself for the rest of the night. "Well, no one is as talented in the art form as you. I am glad you are enjoying this week, you deserve a break, after the month we have had."

"We both do. I must say, I still have a hard time allowing Lord Finnick and his wife to stay here. I can't believe you invited them. Thank God he hasn't been drinking this time around."

"Trust me I don't like it either. But he is an important ally of the crown and the people of England. Thankfully they both have kept their distance..." Catherine had been so preoccupied with her own worries, that the Finnicks presence had hardly bothered her. "I will be happy when everyone goes home though, to go back to our routine, and not have to worry about entertaining." She had such a hard time hiding her morning sickness from Hal, not to mention the many guests they were currently hosting, she did not want anyone to figure out her condition before she told him.

"You are most surprising to me Catherine. I thought you would love parties, dancing, and varied company." He said as he began to change his clothes.

"I usually do" she hesitated, "it's just been such a hard month... I'm overwhelmed by it all." Catherine finally said.

Hal moved to her side, "Well tomorrow is the last day of any parties, they will all be gone this weekend. And I am sorry I've been insensitive, I think of you as so strong, so untouchable, that I sometimes forget how hard this must all be for you."

"You're no such thing, Hal. Say we will throw another party when I am feeling more, myself? That one I will enjoy to my heart's content, I promise."

Hal moved his hand to her cheek, he thought of how much she had been through this last year. A war he brought to her country, her brother killed in that war, moving to a strange new land, almost being assaulted by Lord Finick, a mob's attack on her life twice- he wanted her to have nothing but peace and happiness. "Anything you wish for my love."