Chapter 36

Catherine's grip on her handmaid's arm tightened, as did her grip on the dagger hidden in the folds of her skirt as they walked toward the dock that early morning. The Queen had been so enveloped from the emotions of seeing Helena again, and the lack of news from her father, that she hadn't noticed that she and her handmaids were being followed by a couple men until they were too close to ignore.

The docks were still a few streets away, she could hear the soft sound of the ocean and felt the air get thick with moisture. The sun had not quite risen yet, turning the sky from a light blue to a deep red. A few of the French villagers were opening up their storefronts, but other than that the streets were empty.

"Votre Majesté..." Your Majesty, the handmaid to her right whispered nervously as her nails dug into Catherine's arm.

"Je les entends. Restez calme, ils pourraient aussi aller au quai." I hear them. Remain calm, they could just be going to the docks too, Catherine tried to assure her friends and herself.

Although the further they walked, the more Catherine doubted this. Finally, Catherine braved a look over her shoulder to sneak a look at who was following them.

English soldiers, drunk ones by the look, and smell of them. She relaxed a little, it seemed more probable that English soldiers would also be making their way to the English occupied port as well.

And yet, there was something about the way the men looked at Catherine and her handmaids that made her heart stop. She sped up her pace, urging her handmaids to keep at her sides. If these men did have undesirable intentions, she could tell them who she was, but the French villagers around may hear of it. The ladies could grab the attention of the store owners on the street for help, but if they recognized her, her cover would be blown. It would be worth it if it kept her and her friends safe. But there was an unsettling feeling from the french villagers as they passed them on the street.

If the store owners did steal a glance at the ladies, they immediately looked down and away upon seeing the English soldiers, as if afraid of them. Of course they were afraid of them, Catherine thought.

"Well look at these pretty French ladies, they are a lot prettier than the ones we were with last night." Slurred one of the English soldiers a few paces behind the ladies.

Catherine's heart quickened , 'ignore them and walk faster' her head urged. She couldn't help the pang in her heart at the thought of what these English soldiers may have done to other French women. Her own people.

"How can you tell, we can only see their back sides." Answered the other soldier, a younger voice.

"That's all the matters isn't it?" the older soldier laughed drunkenly.

The decks weren't far off now, but there would be no way that she and her ladies would get to them without passing through a secluded alley. She had to make a decision, risk hurrying through that alley to get safely to the other side where The Duke would be waiting for her. Or face the drunken men before passing through the alley, showing them who she was, and risk a few of the french villagers finding out her identity.

Their safety was on the other side of this alley, her son was. She started into a soft jog, her ladies following her lead and started through the alley. To her fear, the English soldiers started to run after them, once Catherine realized these men would catch up to the ladies before they reached the end, she stopped abruptly halfway.

"Well, well, well, it looks like they like us." the older man breathed heavily.

"Catherine! Dépêchez-vous!" Catherine! Hurry come on! Yelled her handmaids as they looked back at their Queen confused.