Chapter 22

"A week? Are you sure?" Philippa asked with a smile spreading across her face.

Catherine's mind whirled as she thought back, the last week had been so... exciting... that she hardly had noticed until now. "Yes, I am sure." She finally answered, still not able to place all the emotions she felt.

"Oh, Catherine! This is good news, try to be happy!" Philippa was now holding Catherine's hand.

"Good news? My life has been threatened twice in the last month, not to mention there may be a war with my people any day, how is bringing a child into this chaos be good news?" She could finally place the feeling, fear.

Her sister-in-law moved to Catherine's side and ran her hand up and down her back to comfort her, "It's always nerve-wracking when you first find out, trust me I know, and true you have been through so much lately, not to mention what you may be going through soon. But a baby would be a blessing of peace in such tumultuous times."

Catherine looked at her confused, her mind still wheeling.

"Think about it Catherine, new life to the royal family always brings hope and love among subjects. The people of Denmark changed considerably in their attitude toward me once they found I was carrying the next heir. Not to mention the sympathy and support you will have among the people when they find out that a mob tried to kill their Queen who was with child!"

"But I wasn't with child at the time of the attacks..."

"The people do not need to know that. When the attackers of the mob are hung for their crimes, instead of creating discord among your subjects, this news will only bring them to your sympathy and support in that decision! Not to mention the type of effect this could have on your current state with France!"

Catherine was still too shocked to think logically, "With France?"

"Yes, your son is the heir to the French Crown as well as the English one. Your traitorous friend and her family will not be able to keep the news of your child from all of France. The people's attitude may change about English rule once they know a French King is on the way. They may even stop plans of a revolt altogether feeling that it would be a waste of lives to achieve something that will be coming soon enough."

Catherine finally gained her wits about her, maybe Philippa was right. Maybe a child could help soothe all the current tensions she and England were now experiencing. But she couldn't shake the worry that gripped her heart. "Philippa, don't tell Hal yet. What with it being so soon, and the coronation tomorrow, I... I just want to make sure before I tell him."

Philippa hesitated for a moment, not sure these were sufficient reasons to hold back such happy news, but finally agreed, "Of course sister, it is your news to share how you intend." A small sigh of relief escaped from Catherine as she placed her hand on her stomach. "Besides all the political advantages of having a child, I promise it will bring you joy, happiness, and fulfillment beyond compare."

The queen smiled weakly, glad to have someone to share this with.

"Why don't we speak of other things now, your coronation is tomorrow, after all. Show me what you are going to wear!"

-----------------------------------

February 23rd, 1421- The day of Queen Catherine's coronation as Queen of England, was a solemn yet beautiful day. England's subjects crowded around the outside of Westminster Abbey while the Royal court, Church members, advisors, and invited guests took seats within the grand church.

The inside of the Abbey was almost more breathtaking than the outside but much more cold and unforgiving in its aesthetic. With as regal an air as possible, she walked down the stone aisle that led to the ArchBishop who was dressed in fine linens and gold. When he placed his wrinkly fingers on her back, to trace a cross between her shoulder blades with holy water, she shuddered. She stole looks at Hal during the whole ceremony and tried to imagine what it was like when he went through this when he was crowned. He replied to her stolen glances with a nod to help strengthen her without a touch.

While the Bishop droned on in Latin, Catherine thought to what Philippa had told her yesterday. That when Hal was crowned, they had just lost their brother and father only a few weeks before. She also explained that he had to remove his shirt for this process, while she only had to remove a part of the back of her dress. Still, having that much of her skin exposed to the room made her anxious as she knelt in an uncomfortable position. When she was finally handed the orb and scepter, and the crown was placed on her head- she regained the power and determination in her face that made her look as if she could take on the world by herself.

King Henry couldn't help but smile at her proudly. While the two had spoken in the past of wishes that they had been normal people, with regular lives and no greater responsibility, he couldn't deny that Catherine was meant to rule. Everything about her was regal, not just in her looks and demeanor, but the qualities she possessed in her soul. Her love and loyalty to her subjects, her willingness to put their best interests in front of her own, her intelligence and strength. He knew that she could be nothing other than what she already was- A Queen. And that is what made them different. While Catherine was born for this role, he never felt like he belonged to royalty or leadership. He had a love and loyalty for his people that caused him to step up when needed, but nothing came naturally to him as it did for her. He could've lived the rest of his life as a peasant among his people or warrior for the crown, while she never would have been satisfied with such a life. He knew that she didn't need him, but he needed her, and that was ok- because she was everything he was not.

With the scepter and orb in her hands, the crown on her head, Catherine didn't dare look to her husband at her side, but determinedly in front of her, towards the future. She needed to be seen by these people as an individual, a strong ruler whom they could depend on, not a Queen who looked to her husband for everything. But she felt his presence deeply, radiating from her side with a warmth that she couldn't ignore, even when she had wanted to. While Catherine kept a level head and her emotions in check, the King was nothing but feeling and intense emotion. While Catherine looked at the big picture of decisions that involved ruling over a country, Hal looked at the day to day lives of those in that country. He had a love for his people that superseded his own desires, while her love and desires were to serve her people. His fun and loving spirit helped break through her serious exterior and reminded her to enjoy every day that life granted. And he had opened her heart and helped her to love in a way that she thought was never in the cards for her. Yes, she was independent and capable without him, but he helped her grow and change because he was everything she was not.

Before Catherine knew it, those in the church and outside were chanting. "Long Live the Queen! Long Live the Queen!" so loud that the echo's vibrated in her chest.

Henry leaned to her ear and whispered, "Long may you live, My Queen."