Three

Don’t die, Teacher Zhan
Chapter Three

“Teacher Zhan!!!”

The teacher turned his head to the person who called him, “Oh, Fan Xing…” he said as he placed the plastics with corns and broccolis inside his trolley, “How’s your wound?”

“I’m okay sir,” his student answered with a little confusion in his eyes, Did I surprise him that I am here at this hour, in this place? Xiao Zhan thought.

It’s already eight o’clock in the evening and he bought groceries, he didn’t usually care about it, the bare cabinets in the kitchen or the only thing that he could see in his refrigerator was bottled water or the truth that he has no appetite whatsoever. But this night was different, maybe because he forced himself to went outside, far from his apartments safe refuge. 

“Uhm…sir thank you so much for helping us earlier…”

“Don’t worry about it, what about your other friends? How are they?” he asked the small kid that he’d watched grow under his wings in the academy.

“They’re fine sir, uhm…sir can I ask something?” he was fidgeting.

“Yes, of course,”

“Are you vegetarian?” he asked as he pointed to the vegetables sprawled in his teachers shopping cart.

The teacher chuckled, “Yes, you don’t need to be nervous, you can ask me anything and if I have an answer, I’ll tell you.”

His student smiled at him and continued, “So, sir do you have someone special?”

That question astounded him but he didn’t show it, “No, I don’t and I am not planning to get one.”

Fan Xing’s jaw dropped, “But you did experience it, right? Loving someone?”

“Loving someone?” How can I love someone when I don’t love myself? “No.”

“Really? It’s the truth? You’re not lying sir?” doubt filled his face again. He didn’t seem to understand me or he didn’t believe me...

“Yes, that’s the truth and I am not lying,” Why are we talking about this in the aisle of frozen foods and vegetables in a supermarket?

“I don’t have spare time to meet anybody and I don’t like being in a relationship I’ll regret later on.” This kid literally took my words to his heart that he can ask me anything. I never thought he is this nosy.

“What do you mean sir?”

He pushed his trolley out from the aisle and go to the cashier, Fan Xing followed him, walking in sync. The boy has his own trolley with junk foods and things that young people eat these days.

After the personnel announced the sum of all his vegetables, he handed her his credit card and she swiped it on their card reader.

“Thanks, have a great evening,” Xiao Zhan put his card back to his pocket, swooped the two paper bags with his arms and barged out from the place not without noticing the blush that crept to the cashier's face, making Fan Xing more curious. He paid his groceries and ran with his plastic bags to his teacher who was calmly taking a stroll to the empty street.

“Teacher Zhan, wait, did you see that girl? You made her blush!” he cried.

He gave him a heartening smile, “Go home and don’t think about this anymore. I’ll see you tomorrow at school, Fan Xing, take care of yourself, okay?” 

His pupil moved his head as an indication that he heard him and went on his own way. Xiao Zhan was grateful that his student let him go without diving too deep in that topic in their conversation.