From Here On

Cinder woke up with a feeling of comfort, but also a growing edge of apprehension.

So he and Gem were officially friends now. Agreeing to it had seemed like a good idea last night, but ideas that shone brightly at night often looked less inviting in the morning. He wondered what would happen from now on. Would things change between them? And if so, in which direction?

What was he even supposed to do as a friend, anyway?

He had never learned about that, he realized as he got ready and headed to breakfast. Why should he have? As a child he had always seen other children as loud and annoying, not as potential companions. And as a teenager...well, he had found that solitude truly was better than putting up with false friendliness.

Maybe Gem knew what to do, he mused, waiting awkwardly at one of the tables. He certainly didn't. Especially not...in the longer run.

If their friendship even lasted that long. If they didn't just drift apart or fall out over something stupid. They cared about each other now, and maybe they even got along somehow, sure, but that could change. People were prone to changing all the time.

Footsteps sounded on the stairs, and his heart skipped a beat. But it was only Olive who came around the corner—no, not Olive; Oliver again today. Cinder eyed him closely to try and see the magic behind his appearance, but neither makeup nor clothing tricks were visible even to an attentive eye.

"Good morning!" he said, sitting down across from him. With a glance at the clock he added, "Gem's late today, huh?"

Cinder almost jumped at the name. "I—I guess," he managed out, hoping he wasn't blushing. Which was really stupid if he thought about it. It wasn't like there was anything embarrassing about deciding he and Gem were friends.

Well, not to most people. To him it meant declaring that he cared about another person, as a person, not just out of duty or basic human decency. It was something he had completely sworn off of until yesterday.

The more he looked back on it, really, the more he wondered what on earth had possessed him to make this choice last night. It was nothing like him. What in the world had he been thinking?

Before he could answer that question, there was another footfall, then Gem appeared around the corner. Cinder's heart stood still. Holding his breath, he waited for a reaction, any sign from Gem to show how they were supposed to be now.

"You're late," Oliver greeted him, and Gem gave a yawn.

"It's early," he muttered, sitting down. "Give me a break."

Oliver pointed smugly at Cinder. "This guy was awake way before you!"

Cinder's entire body was tense with apprehension.

Gem, however, only yawned again. "Maybe that's 'cause he's a machine who doesn't need any sleep."

Cinder relaxed inwardly. So they were still on their banter, even as friends.

"Pretty big words," he said, taking a seat, "for a guy who kept me from sleeping the other night."

"I bet you didn't sleep anyway," Gem answered, reaching for the basket of fresh bread on the table and helping himself to a slice. "You were just bored, and that's why you threw a pillow at me."

"Don't think everyone's on your level, stupid."

"You're right," Gem shot back, looking self-satisfied. "I'm way better than you."

But even as he spoke, he took the bread basket and held it out towards Cinder, who gave a snort to mask his surprise. "Says the idiot who's currently offering me bread?"