Roast Chestnuts

He understood.

For days after the conversation the realization remained in Cinder's mind like an echo, a constant reminder of something that still felt too good to believe. At first it just felt strange. Vulnerable. Like Gem knew too much now, like he had found out about his greatest weakness and it was only a matter of time until that backfired on him.

Cinder waited for some change in Gem's behavior. He almost expected him to treat him differently now, more carefully perhaps, like he was something fragile and breakable, fragile and breakable like Cinder himself felt now that he had let his defenses down. But Gem didn't change. He had cried over his story, cried when even Cinder himself hadn't dared to cry; but now he was acting as normal as ever.

It almost felt like they shared a secret now, something only the two of them knew and had silently agreed to hide from the rest of the world. It felt...what was the word?

Intimate.

He was probably reading too much into this, but he couldn't shake the feeling. Every time Gem stood beside him, every time they exchanged a glance, it was like they were exchanging an unspoken message only meant for the two of them. And he hated to admit it, but it felt good. Comforting. Reassuring.

So much so that he almost dreaded Midwinter's Day as the day after which it would all have to end.

~ ~ ~

Gem was the first to wake up in the morning, surprising even Cinder.

"What?" he groaned to the figure standing beside his bed like an overeager puppy waiting for its morning walk. "It's still dark, go back to sleep."

"But it's Midwinter's Day!" Gem answered, his eyes sparkling an annoying amount for the ungodly hour of the morning. "We have to make the most of it!"

Cinder yawned, rolling over. "Celebrations won't start for another few hours," he grumbled. "Sleep."

Huffing and pouting, Gem crawled back onto his mattress, allowing Cinder to drift off again. When he woke up the second time, Gem was gone, and a quick search revealed that he had gone to assist the maid in preparing the meals.

"What's it with you and kitchen staff?" Cinder asked, shaking his head at the rare sight of Gem in an apron three sizes too small for him, carefully balancing a tray of pies. "You sure you won't just ruin the meal?"

"I've helped before!" Gem protested, and the maid nodded decisively. "The young sir is being a great help!"

"That so? You don't look it." Striding over, Cinder made to take the tray from Gem's hands when he noticed something. "Aren't there more pies than usual?"

The maid looked flustered. "Well, I..."

"You can afford it," Gem decided.

"Maybe," Cinder answered, "but who's supposed to eat all that? There's only so many of us."

"I said she can make some for herself too," Gem explained. "She deserves it."

"...You're impossible."

Shaking his head, Cinder smiled, then joined the duo in the preparations. "But I guess I'm the man of the house," he added, "so I can allow it. You work hard enough year-round."

The maid's face lit up. Suddenly she looked ten years younger. The poor soul, Cinder thought, lighting up like that over such a small gesture. Gem had been right to offer her this luxury.

The shortest day of the year went by in a breeze. Cinder and Gem helped out in the kitchen, then went outside to greet the children who went door to door, singing songs in exchange for small sweets and little gifts. Gem tried to listen to their stories, sometimes slipped them a coin or two when he thought they needed it. Cinder watched in amusement. His skill with children was truly impressive.