Laughter and Tears

"I'm bored," Gem said for the third time that morning.

Cinder sighed. He had done his best to ignore his increasingly persistent bugging, but it was impossible to ignore him when he was draping himself all over his work bench. In the middle of a particularly good piece of work, no less.

"Get off," he said, jabbing a hand into his ribs and earning himself an indignant yelp from the prince. "Can't you see I'm working?"

Grumbling and pouting, Gem stood back up, though he didn't seem likely to give up just yet. "You've been working all day!" he complained. "And there aren't even that many customers coming in."

Cinder scoffed and pushed aside the half-finished boot he had been working on. "It's called a job, Your Highness," he snarked. "Most people need it to feed their families."

"You could at least talk while you work." Gem plopped down on the stool that was usually used for customers being measured or trying on their new shoes. "That way it'd be less boring."

Cinder went back to work. "I'm not much of a talker," he said. "Why don't you go outside or something? Take Olive and explore the town instead of bothering me."

"I'm gracing you with my presence, ungrateful bastard!" Gem declared, sticking out his tongue. Cinder rolled his eyes. Sometimes it really did feel like their whole trip together hadn't happened, except that he now found the prince less annoying than he probably should.

To be honest, this whole situation was partly his fault anyway. It had been Gem's idea to join him at the workshop, sure, but Cinder had agreed, foolishly thinking the prince would get bored of watching him work and leave soon. No such thing. Gem was bored all right, but apparently not enough to stop badgering him and get out.

"So suggesting I talk to you while I work," Cinder said, threading his needle to sew on the last piece of leather. "What should I even talk about?"

"Anything," Gem answered. "Whatever you want."

"Helpful."

"Always am."

There was a pause. Cinder glanced up from his work to look at Gem. The prince still hadn't taken off his disguise, claiming to all who asked that he was a visiting family friend. So far everyone had bought it. Clothes really were everything, apparently.

"You could tell me about yourself," Gem said at last. "What do you like to do when you're not busy with boring work?"

"It's not boring!" Cinder snapped, then added, "If you need to know, I read."

"Read what? I bet you read boring stuff."

"Don't have access to enough books to be picky," Cinder replied. "But if you ask me what I like, I guess adventure stories. Or mysteries."

Gem's eyes lit up. "Adventure? Why that?"

His expression was so obvious that Cinder gave a snort. "Surprised, huh?" he said. "I guess I like reading about places I don't know. It's like I can visit them a little, even if I can't travel there."

"I like adventure stories too." Gem changed his position on the stool, which was obviously not made for someone his height. "They're exciting! Not that I have much time to read," he added, pouting.

"Busy with princely duties?"

Stretching out his legs, Gem gave a nod. "There's always something. History lessons, language lessons, studying politics and diplomacy and finance, you have no clue how stupid math with big numbers is. You always mess up somewhere."

Cinder snorted.

"What?" Gem burst out, flushing. "Math is hard!"

"Only if you don't pay enough attention," Cinder answered, raising an amused eyebrow.