Brothers Among Themselves

Gem kept his promise.

Several more times he snuck in to visit again at night—through the door this time, to Cinder's relief—and after a few days he came waltzing in during the day again, proudly declaring that his father had ended his house arrest after he had convinced him he wouldn't go searching for the masked stranger anymore. They spent hours and hours goofing around or just talking, about anything and everything, until one of them finally realized it was time to part ways.

Cinder still hadn't told him the truth. He meant to, but it was hard to do now that his original momentum had been lost. It never seemed like the right moment for it either. Or maybe there would have been plenty of right moments, and Cinder was simply a coward who couldn't work up the courage and risk ruining what they had.

He'd do it soon, he kept promising himself, at the nearest opportunity. How exactly that opportunity looked like, he didn't know. He just kept telling himself that if it came, he would recognize it.

Hopefully.

Although, he had to admit, it didn't exactly get easier with every day that passed.

He still hadn't figured out his feelings towards Gem either. Something told him that he should have, but the more he thought about it, the less certain he was. He was happy when he was with Gem, sure. He felt warm and content, like his world was brighter and more colorful than it had ever been without him. If there was a way for him to spend all his time around him, he would take it. And all that did sound like love. But if that was the case, what made it different from strong friendship? How could he tell if he liked Gem as a close friend or a lover?

Cinder still hadn't resolved the question when, one morning, the door to his workshop opened.

He more than half expected Gem to walk in, but the person entering wasn't the prince. Instead it was another descendant of the king he knew all too well.

"Oliver," he greeted him, immediately peeking behind the knight to see if he had Gem in tow. Oliver, however, seemed to be alone.

"Hello, Cinder," Gem's suspended bodyguard greeted him. "Long time no see."

Cinder gave a brief nod. "What brings you here?"

Oliver smiled innocently. "What," he answered, "can't I come to visit a friend?"

Cinder lifted an eyebrow.

"Alright, alright," the knight continued, laughing. "I came here as a customer. I need a new pair of riding boots."

"I'm sure there are plenty of shoemakers who are better at making those," Cinder remarked. He still couldn't shake the feeling that Oliver was up to something. No matter if female or male, the knight was too full of tricks to completely trust them.

"I wouldn't be so humble, it's bad for business," Oliver replied, laughing. "I might just end up listening to you, and then you'll miss out on the pay—"

"Fine! Fine! I'll do it," Cinder exclaimed, jumping to his feet. "But only if you tell me why you're actually here."

Oliver eyed him closely, and for a moment Cinder feared he might bring out another obvious excuse. Then he sobered up, sitting down on the small stool with a sigh. "You haven't heard anything from Gem, have you?"

Oh. Of course.

"I have," Cinder replied as Oliver took off his boots for him to inspect in detail. "We made up the other day. He's been visiting often since."

Oliver gave a sigh of relief. "So he's out of house arrest?"

"Yeah." Cinder gave him a glance. "You still can't contact him?"