Candles and Fireplaces

The journey continued, and still they were getting no new clues about the masked stranger's whereabouts.

Gem was getting frustrated, but not nearly as frustrated as he probably should be. It was almost like he was getting used to it, asking shoemaker after shoemaker after shoemaker and never finding out anything new. Like a routine or something. Been there, done that.

Besides, and this was the part of his brain that he didn't yet know how to deal with, he didn't mind searching a little longer. He didn't mind staying on the road, riding through the snow, staying at inns...or spending time with Cinder. His companion who he had grown to care about. His very first friend.

It wasn't like he wanted to stay on the road longer than necessary just because of Cinder. It wasn't like—heaven forbid—he'd choose spending time with the shoemaker over finding his beloved either. It was just that after this trip, he had no idea how soon they would see each other again, let alone for how long. And he wasn't in any hurry to let go of the first friend he had ever made in his life.

Even if the friend in question was being weird. Gem couldn't guess what exactly was up, but he could easily tell he was hiding something. Something that was bothering him. And therefore it bothered Gem too, since he was pretty sure friends told each other about the things they worried about. That was how it worked, right?

Of course, Gem had to admit, he hadn't told Cinder everything yet either. There were plenty of things he was keeping to himself, things he hadn't even talked to Oliver about. Maybe he should tell him; friends were friends, and maybe it would encourage Cinder to talk about himself too.

But it felt so awkward, the thought of bringing it up.

Gem looked over at Cinder. There had to be something he could do. Friends shouldn't hide things from each other. At least, he was pretty sure they shouldn't. Especially not important stuff like...whatever it was Cinder wouldn't talk about. Right? Maybe he should ask Oliver or something.

So, what to do?

Pushing it seemed like a bad idea. Knowing Cinder, he'd just clam down and refuse to say anything or worse, rethink the whole friendship thing. He needed a different plan. But what? Waiting and seeing? That wasn't his style.

Maybe he should talk to him after all, he mused.

Not necessarily about his own secrets. Not yet. Just talk, about life, about everything, and maybe then it would be easier for one of them to open up.

Gem smirked to himself.

That sounded like a plan.

~ ~ ~

That evening they stayed at a larger guesthouse, more beautiful and luxurious than the inns they had grown used to.

Cinder had tried to tune it out, but looking at the spacious, ornate building the approaching midwinter celebrations became impossible to ignore. There were wreaths and ribbons and candles everywhere, countless lanterns to block out the dark of winter, their light glittering invitingly on the freshly fallen snow. Once, long ago, Cinder had thought it the most beautiful time of the year. Nowadays it all rang hollow, a bright, empty mockery of the gaping hole inside his heart.

Maybe we should stay somewhere else, he wanted to say, but bit his tongue. It was just for one night. He didn't want to be the one causing trouble over something as silly as this.

All the same he was silent as they ate dinner in the brightly lit room, the scents of wintery spices and freshly baked cakes wafting through the air with a promise of joy that he no longer felt. He was silent when, after dinner, the three of them gathered before the fireplace with a map, going through their travel route for the next day.