Many Letters

Dear Cinder,

I'm sorry it's been so long since my last letter. Turns out studying other kingdoms is way more work than I thought, once you get started there's just no end to it. I'm not sure I can use any of the stuff I've learned, though...it's such a small kingdom and the winters are way shorter and less cold than at home. It just rains all the time and it's driving me nuts. You guys still have snow, right? Please build a snowman for me!

The good news is that I've sort of negotiated a trade deal in exchange for them letting me study. There's so much math in it, my head hurts already. I hate numbers. But I know from all my lessons that trade deals can do a lot for a country's wealth if you do it right, so who knows, I might just have helped some people already!

I know, I know, I can't sign it on my own. My dad will have to do it for me, but I'm kind of glad about that, actually. It's better if a real adult looks over it again and double-checks the whole thing. I hope I haven't made too many mistakes, I really can't tell anymore. If I stare at all these rules for another second I think my head will just explode.

How's everything at home? I can't believe I can't be around while they build our new home, that sounds so exciting! And you're acting so secretive, you jerk. I don't even know how it'll look like! I mean, I trust Olly and Lady Dia and you. It's just...it's so interesting! I want to know!

It's so nice to hear your sisters are getting better too. Who'd have thought they'd be so talented, right? Your dad would've been so proud of all of you if he knew. Oh great, now I'm thinking about the workshop and getting homesick. I miss it so much. But I miss you even more. Some nights I just lie awake wishing for a way to talk to you and hear your voice. D'you think that will ever be possible? Actually talking to each other over long distances?

But hey, at least I keep getting your letters. Feel free to write even more! I wish I could write to you more often too, but I keep getting busy so much. Life isn't fair. But at least I know that when I come back, I can keep coming home to you every night and never have to write letters to talk to you again.

I just love you a lot. Take care of yourself, okay? Say hi to your sisters and Olly and Lady Dia for me. I'm counting down the days till I see you all again.

Love,

Gem

~ ~ ~

Dear Gem,

first of all, thanks a lot for that parcel you sent. My sisters and Hestia adore the fabric; they're already going on about making something out of it to wear to our wedding. I love the coat and gloves too. It's spring here already, but it's still cold out, so your gifts didn't arrive too late.

So you're setting out again, huh? Guess I'll address this letter to your next destination then. I don't know too much about geography, but hopefully it's less chilly there than it is here. My sisters have been complaining about not being able to bring out their spring colors for weeks. The snow's gone, but honestly, I'm sick of the cold too. Of course all of those aren't real problems, but I guess it makes you spoiled, being able to live without worrying about money. Another thing I owe you and the ridiculous amount you paid me for letting you meet...well, me.

Oliver and Lady Diamond have been coming to me a lot lately, asking about more details for the house. The building's planned, but now they're bugging me about the interior. I don't know how to explain to them that I couldn't care less. It's a shame you're not here; I'm guessing you'd have some ideas. As it is, I'm getting help from my family. You know they're having a field day with that sort of thing. My only job is to keep reining them in when they go overboard.