Chapter 2

The sun was setting on the warm fall afternoon as Draco sat in the back of the library. He had just begun his homework after spending the afternoon wasting time with his friends. As he begun to work on his defense against the dark arts, a class he hated beyond belief due to the lackluster professor, a girl
with her head under a cloak sat down across from him. She sat with her back to the rest of the library and lowered her hood.

"Hermione, I'm so sorry," Draco said as soon as he saw her.

"You are lucky Madame Pomfrey fixed it." She said in a seething tone. The blond boy looked scared. Her teeth had returned to a little less than their normal size.

"I'm sorry. I truly didn't mean to hit you with the spell. It was meant for Harry. Not that that makes it any better. But I would never want to harm you Hermione," Draco said as he reached his hand out to lightly touch hers. Hermione smiled as her anger calmed.

"Draco it's fine. What's done is done. I mean I'm branded with a new nickname for a while. 'Bucktooth beaver Hermione' it is. You can call me Beaver princess. There's your nickname," she said as she stood up, gathering her things.

"I'd rather go with beautiful princess. But if you want me to call you beaver, your wish is my command." Draco said with a wink. Hermione spun around with her eyes wide open.

"Draco Malfoy you flirt. Never have I seen a boy saying such things in public"

Draco smiled smugly, watching a blush spread across the brunette's face. She looked at his parchment before she sat down at the other end of the table and pulled out her own DADA assignment.

The pair worked on their assignments in silence, occasionally looking up at each other and smiling.

As the skies became darker, Harry and Ron joined Hermione in the library. They sat down around her, making more noise than was needed in the library.

"Hermione, did you already do the DADA assignment? I had a few questions." Ron asked.

"Yes I did it earlier. What's your question Ronald?"

"Well what do you have for question 1?"

"A boggart Ronald. We learned about them last year"

"Yeah sure we did Hermione. You really think I pay attention"

"It's fine Ron. Any other questions?"

"Yeah. What do you have for 2?" Ron said, looking confused as ever. Hermione looked up at the ceiling, shaking her head. She glanced across the table and saw her blond friend smirking at her. She smiled and  put her head down.

"Ronald, do you ever do any work yourself?"

"Yeah. I figured out 3 by myself."

"Question 3 asked for the a curse we learned this year and you wrote the "confundus" curse. That's a charm Ronald." Hermione exclaimed in an exasperated tone. Harry looked at her with an empathetic look. Draco snorted from across the table.

"Oi Malfoy, what are you laughing at?"

"Oh nothing you need to concern yourself with Weasley" Draco said with a scowl, beginning to walk away.

"Haven't been turned into a ferret recently Malfoy? Maybe you need it for that attitude adjustment," Ron said, standing up, holding his wand.

Draco turned around "Funny Weasley. Let's see your Gryffindor courage when there's a spider around."

"You think you're such a hot-shot Malfoy. You probably don't even have a date to the Yule Ball."

Draco locked eyes with Hermione. She shook her head slightly, signaling for him not to start something. His features softened for a moment. "Well Weasley I guess you'll see soon enough." He said as he walked out of the library. Hermione smiled thinking about how he had completely relaxed when he saw her.

"Ron you really shouldn't start with him. It's just Malfoy," Harry said with a frown.

"Yeah Ronald, just ignore him. That's what I do," Hermione said.

"Yeah I guess so," Ron said standing up.

"Where are you going?" Hermione asked.

"I need to go find a date for the Yule Ball. Now that I've challenged that ferret, I cannot even begin to see losing to him." Ron said as he fled from the library. Harry looked up at Hermione and shook his head.

"Have you got someone to go with Mione?"

"Yeah, I have an idea of who I'm going with." Hermione said as she redirected her focus back to her homework.