Chapter 17

It had been a month since Draco and Hermione had seen each other. Between the DA, the inquisitorial squad, and Umbridge, the two barely had any time together.

It was the first Monday of April when Harry had called a DA meeting. Halfway through the lesson, there was a minor explosion and the laughter of evil Umbridge was heard. Hermione screamed for everyone to run but she and a few others were not successful. It was truly unfortunate. This was the root of all their issues: Umbridge as Headmistress. This was also the cause of the first fight between Draco and Hermione.

As she was led into Umbridge's office, she saw her boyfriend look at her with a sad look. She felt betrayed, as she expected more from him. He pulled her aside, claiming to interrogate her.

"Mi I had no idea what was going to happen. As soon as I found out I sent a letter but I'm assuming the room doesn't allow them. I'm so sorry," he said with a scowl, trying to keep up appearances.

"It's not ok Malfoy. You're getting off Scott-free and we'll be punished. I am very upset with you." Hermione whispered.

"I love you," he whispered lightly in her ear as he stood next to her. He could see her features soften and her hand lightly reached for his, hidden behind their cloaks.

For a week, Hermione had refused to speak to Draco on the basis of the fight. Draco realized he had messed up but also was adamant on the fact that he tried to tell her. He also knew she still loved him. And thus, he was not as upset as he had been the last fight. They had made up eventually over Easter break, with Draco showing up at Hermione's doorstep with peonies in hand. She had opened the door and jumped him, kissing him with the biggest smile on her face.

A month later, after Harry's dreams, the group decided to make a run for Umbridge's fireplace to Floo to the MoM. As they arrived, they were caught. Draco pulled Hermione and held her close, away from the rest of the chaos. "If you want me to get you out of here I can but if you want to stay by your friends I understand." he whispered.

"I'm staying," she responded while holding his hand tightly. He nodded solemnly and removed his hand from hers as Umbridge entered the room, clearing her throat.

"Hermione granger, an accomplice to the crime. I certainly foresaw this. Tell me what you're planning," Umbridge said with her evil smile. "Be honest dear or I shall have no choice but to revert to older methods of interrogation," she continued, putting Fudge's picture gram face down. Draco's mouth twitched in anger. He did not like where this was going.

"Headmistress Umbridge, you cannot be serious,"

"Of course I am. Punishments are necessary my dear. How else will people learn?" Umbridge asked, pulling out her wand. Hermione sat up in the chair and stared defiantly at Umbridge. Blaise looked at Draco with a stern head shake, telling him not to make any movements. "However, I'm not wasting any time on you dear. Draco, Blaise, bring me Potter," she said motioning at the two.

The slytherins did as they were told, grabbing Harry and putting him in the chair. Draco grabbed Hermione out of the chair, groaning in disdain. He pulled her to the side of the room and held her by the hand, his other hand firmly placed on her back, moving in small circles. "I will not let anything happen to you," he whispered.

Hermione drifted towards him slightly, leaning into his arms. She was not only exhausted but also missed him. His arms were strong and held her up. She tried not to think about the next obstacle that would arise as Umbridge fiddled with her wand by Harry. Suddenly she had an idea.

"Tell her Harry! If you don't I will," she screamed, making things up as she went. Blaise looked at her like she had lost her mind and Draco's hold on her tightened, scared that if he let go he would lose her.