Chapter 20

In the past 2 months, Draco had begun to figure out how to work the vanishing cabinet. But he was still having trouble with the concept of something alive coming through. And as each day passed, he became more stressed.

Hermione would help him as much as she could but he began to distance himself from her, realizing he didn't want to be the one to turn the beautiful Hermione Granger into a traitor. He could not get her involved in his torturous plans that involved hurting an innocent girl. And Hermione was upset by this.

After the quidditch game, Hermione saw Lavender kiss Ron and she lost it. She sat outside crying until Harry came to comfort her. When Ron tried to make a joke, she sent birds after him. He didn't understand. Why would he?

Draco felt Hermione tapping her necklace and went to find her. But he stumbled upon her crying in the arms of Harry Potter. She looked up and saw him, a single tear coming down his face. She quickly stood up and ran to him, as he retreated into a broom closet. She opened the door and hugged him with all of her might.

"Why is it that you are close with every guy?" Draco asked angrily.

"Excuse me? I'm not close with every guy. Harry was comforting me. Much more than I can say for you"

"What's that supposed to mean. Also, comforting you about what?"

"Lavender kissing Ron,"

"So now you're jealous of him. Why Hermione? Am I not enough for you?"

"No you insensitive arse. I was jealous that they can kiss in public and be lovey-Dovey and I can't even hold your hand without repercussions." She exclaimed. His face fell as he hugged her tightly.

"I love you. I'm sorry I've been distant. And I wish I could kiss you in public. Hell, I wish I could scream it from the rooftops. Tell everyone you're mine and that I'm never going to let you go. But I can't. Because it would end up in both of us being killed,"

"Draco I know you love me. Don't push me away. I need you,"

"No Mione, I need you. And the only reason I push you away is because I don't want you to be called a traitor. You're fighting for the right side. I wish I was fighting for it too."

"You could Draco. You could come to the Order and tell them everything you know and be safe. Your mom could be too. You two are good people," Hermione reasoned. Draco was silent as he held her hand tightly.

"Mi, I'll think about it. Ok? But you cannot be involved in helping me any further." he said as he kissed her forehead. She nodded, understanding he was doing all of this for her. "And I know you want to know so yes, the Katie Bell incident was related to the task Voldemort has given me."

"He wants you to kill Dumbledore," Hermione whispered, having figured it out long before meeting him. Draco was silent, not wanting to respond. They stayed in each other's arms for what felt like hours until Hermione announced she should head to bed. Draco promised to see her in two weeks.

In 2 weeks exactly since that night, Hermione woke up to an owl holding a flower perched in the windowsill. She took the flower from it, petting the bird. In the flower there was a rolled up note.

My beautiful princess,

I miss you so much. I know today is another Hogsmeade trip. How about we go have a nice butterbeer and just enjoy each other's company. I will be in the left corner. See you soon.

With love,
Your dashing prince.

Hermione smiled softly as she threw on a green sweater and put on some makeup. She stepped into the lavatory and charmed herself to have strawberry blonde hair. Then, she exited and left to meet everyone to head to Hogsmeade.

When they arrived, she stepped into the pub and walked to the left corner to see a boy with dark hair and blue eyes sitting in the spot. She smiled at him and sat down. "Hi, mind if I sit here?" She asked.

"I'm actually waiting for my girlfriend. She's rather annoying but I keep her around." He said with a smirk. Hermione laughed and kissed him.

"How did you know?" She asked.

"Let's just say I could pick you out of a crowd even if you had Polyjuice Potion."

"It's my eyes," she said with a grin. He nodded and kissed her again.

"They're the eyes I fell in love with. So yes, it's the eyes."

The couple talked and kissed and drank butterbeer. Hermione was so happy to spend time with him. Even in this dark time, she knew he would always be her Draco. The Draco that not many people knew.

While they were kissing, she overheard a familiar voice. "People really think this is a good place for that sort of stuff." She looked to see Ron talk from a table over. She laughed lightly, thinking about how he had no care for where he snogged 'Lav'. Draco looked at her with confusion. She smiled and waved it off, leaning up to kiss him again.

She had come to the realization that she did kiss him a lot. But she enjoyed it and it wasn't hurting anyone. So she continued.

After their date, Draco walked Hermione back to the Fat Lady's portrait and kissed her goodbye. She turned and said the password, entering the room and heading to her dormitory to remove the spell and bring back her hair. She was happy to be herself again.

In the next month, things got rather hectic and Hermione had not seen her boyfriend. But she knew they had a lot going on. One day, she sat in their spot in the library, working on her potions assignment, when Draco came in and dragged her into a book aisle.

"I have been waiting to kiss you for so long," he said as he attached his lips to hers. She smiled and kissed him back lovingly. He pulled away after a few minutes, resting his forehead against hers. They eventually sat back down in an armchair angled away from the rest of the library. Draco placed Hermione in his lap. She wrote her essay as he kissed her neck lovingly. She eventually gave up on the essay and closed her eyes. She felt Draco's hand go up her skirt and her eyes opened.

"Draco Malfoy we are in public," she said, her teeth clenched. He smirked and pulled at her underwear.

"There's fun in being risky. Now be quiet and relax." Draco said looking at her with a smile. She closed her eyes and rested her head in the crook of his neck, trying not to make noise.

However, their time was cut short by Draco having to go work on his stupid cabinet. He kissed her good bye as he left. She grinned and continued with her essay.