Chapter 4

Pansy was fixing Draco's dress robes when gasps erupted around them in the foyer of the great hall. Draco looked at the staircase to see Hermione Granger descending the stairs in a gorgeous pink gown with her hair done up like a princess. He smiled lightly until he watched Krum take her arm. Then, a scowl took a permanent place on his face.

"Draco are you ok? You look like you just got touched by a house elf" Pansy said, looking worried.

"Yes Parkinson, I'm fine. We should enter now." He said as he started walking, with her moving quickly to catch up to him.

Throughout the whole night, he watched Hermione smile at the quidditch player as he danced with her and showed her off to everyone with eyes. At one point, he watched as Krum placed a kiss on her cheek and she froze. Hermione did not react to the kiss, rather brushed it off and continued with the night. She didn't want to think about the only other person to kiss her there and how much she wished she could joke around with him at that moment.

Later in the night, Hermione went over to Ron and Harry and ultimately ran out of the Great Hall in tears due to the two idiots. She sat on the stairs, tears leaking out of her eyes with her head in her hands.

She was lightly tapped on the shoulder and looked up to see a figure retreating into a hallway. She wiped away her tears as she stood up and followed.

"Draco? What is it?"

"Are you ok Granger?" He asked, looking concerned. She felt like a knife went through her heart when he said her last name, as if everything went back to way it was before. She sat down on the bench with a sigh.

"Well if you must know, I am not. Ronald said some very mean things about me being a traitor. Mean things that are in no way true."

"Of course they're not. You may have gone to the dance with a buffoon, but you're not a traitor," Draco said as he sat down next to her. She leaned against him slightly and he smiled a little, putting his arm around her.

"Ron was right about one thing," she said.

"What?"

"You do need an attitude adjustment." Draco felt his smile fade as he moved his arm back to his side.

"I need an attitude adjustment. Yesterday you're pulling me into an aisle to yell at me and today you're snuggling into my side."

"Yeah, well, you were perfectly pleasant yesterday until Victor came to the library and then you suddenly got upset. What's that all about?"

"Nothing." he said standing up.

"You don't want to talk to me, you don't even look at me, and then you wonder why I went to the dance with Victor" she said in an exasperated tone. Draco spun around and looked at her with his mouth agape.

"You went to the dance with him because I was avoiding you. Why on earth would you do that?"

"Because you were being stupid so I decided to go with a boy who actually asked me to the dance,"

"Well I'm sorry you assumed I had any interest in going to the dance with you. But I didn't. So don't blame me for going to the dance with our competitor"

"Oh look Malfoy's so good at arguments. You sound just like Ron right now"

"Well maybe he was right. You are a traitor. And apparently not very smart either."

"How dare you"

"Oh does Hermione Granger have a crush on Draco Malfoy? Is that it? Is that why you chose to go with Krum when I didn't ask you. You're unbelievable!"

"Well what am I supposed to think when you kiss my cheek unexpectedly!" Hermione shouted

"It was a friendly hello. I'm sorry you weren't aware of that," Draco said, walking away.

"I know what friendly is you cockroach. And I know that's not what we are anymore," Hermione screamed as she watched the blonde exit the hallway. His heart fell to his stomach.

"Good. Things are better this way," he said to himself as he re-entered the great hall and found his house mates.